Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stirnpanzer - Is it real?

Juan Pedro

I recently acquired this ww1 repainted stirnpanzer but am unsure of whether it is real or not. It has plenty of wear under the paint and you can see a few spots where the paint has chipped and you can see metal. Also in a few spots you can see really rough texture. 

I am just unsure and I would love to hear all your guys opinions! 

7AA6F53F-27A0-4344-AF2B-E74822142376.jpeg

AABA98C6-0070-4BA7-BD13-DD7A0B907651.jpeg

9FD72DF5-5C21-46B2-BE7C-43E495DB5A25.jpeg

Hello Juan,

Welcome to the forum. You may already be aware of this group but the 'War Relics Forum' has a number of articles relating to the 'Stirnpanzer', one of which deals with a question of authentication https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/stahlhelms/stirnpanzer-real-693249/ If one of our experts can't offer any advice it might be worth registering.

Apparently a Stirnpanzer should be marked RV and a lot number. RV stands for Rhein Metall Viersen.

I did like the answer given by one member 'Here is a somewhat unscientific test to try. Holding it up by the strap, strike the plate with a rubber hammer - it should ring like a church bell.'

Hopefully one of our experienced members will be of more assistance.

Gunner 87

Fakes abound. But I know of a few crates of these that were unearthed on the Somme in about 2008. I think about 200 were found in one location all with the remains of leather straps attached. However I also know of a Militaria dealer in Kent who owned a mint example and had about 30 copies made from it. 

So buyer beware.