Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander Robertson, Pte., 3898, 291107,1/7 Gordon Highlanders, Help would be appreciated please: Pension Cards/Ledgers

rolt968

I am having great difficulty finding who this man really was. Can anyone please help by answering the questions about the pension records at the end of this post?

I would be very grateful if someone could please interpret information on pension cards and ledgers. (I have a bit nore information which I will post later in the thread but I would rather not prejudice answers about the pension cards).

Robertson(291105)1.jpg.17937d15ef944aff524d4a21fd37f033.jpg

Robertson(291105)2.jpg.b31b519a97ac9785a5fc2b5e61f21d98.jpg

Robertson3898).jpg.4d99cdb0b1e2ec5dedfb670032f54e22.jpgRobertson3898)3.jpg.b0c9e98546432b734ba22a92b2d51739.jpg

The last two are the sides of the same card.

Can anyone please suggest answers to the following:

1. Was a pension paid to anyone? If so to whom?

2. What is the significance of Frank Robertson's statement about "step father in loco" on the second card/page?

3. Is there any significance in the 1927 date? Frank Robertson's (second) wife died in March 1927.

Many thanks

RM

Edited by rolt968

• rolt968 changed the title to Alexander Robertson, Pte., 3898, 291107,1/7 Gordon Highlanders, Help would be appreciated please: Pension Cards/Ledgers

Also can anyone find a Registers of Soldiers' Effects page for Alexander Robertson?

I have tried both serial numbers and a number of variations without any luck. Some documents give the date of death as 14 Novemeber 1916 others 13 Novemeber 1916.

Many thanks.

RM

1 hour ago, rolt968 said:

Also can anyone find a Registers of Soldiers' Effects page for Alexander Robertson?

I have tried both serial numbers and a number of variations without any luck. Some documents give the date of death as 14 Novemeber 1916 others 13 Novemeber 1916.

Many thanks.

RM

Here you go - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/384059:60506?_phsrc=QVz101&_phstart=successSource&gsfn=alexander&ml_rpos=44&queryId=f50ca1c54fdab2bcdc6091826d45d703

Craig

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

Very many thanks, Craig. That's excellent. I wonder why it did not come up for me. (Are both serial numbers run together?)

I see the gratuity went to his "mother" as sole legatee. I have seen the soldier's will. He left everything to his "mother" and named her.

I use inverted commas because I am becoming convinced that Alexander was not the son (by another relationship) of Frank (Francis) Robertson's second wife who was alive in 1916-1917 but the son (by another relationship) of Frank's first wife who died in 1910. I was wondering if that was why there was the strange note about Frank, and the wife was scored out on the pension card.

Try as I might I cannot find a single document which gives the age of Pte Alexander Robertson. I think my last hope is the death record at Scotlandspeople.

RM

19 minutes ago, rolt968 said:
2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Very many thanks, Craig. That's excellent. I wonder why it did not come up for me. (Are both serial numbers run together?)

Yes, it's indexed in Ancestry's less than straightforward way.

Craig

20 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

I use inverted commas because I am becoming convinced that Alexander was not the son (by another relationship) of Frank (Francis) Robertson's second wife who was alive in 1916-1917 but the son (by another relationship) of Frank's first wife who died in 1910. I was wondering if that was why there was the strange note about Frank, and the wife was scored out on the pension card.

For a dependant's claim, the definition was quite loose.

1919 RW.

(5) “Dependant” means any person (other than a widow or child as defined above) who is found as a fact to have been wholly or partially dependant upon a soldier for a reasonable period immediately before the commencement of the war, or before enlistment if subsequent to the commencement of the war, and in the case of a deceased soldier up to the death of the soldier unless he shall have been prevented from contributing by circumstances beyond his control.; and in Articles 10(10, 23 and 24b shall include a parent eligible for a pension under Article 21(1)(c). “Dependent” means so dependent as aforesaid.

Craig