Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. Claude Holdsworth HUNT - Royal Field Artillery att. XVIII Corps H.Q.

Skipo

Capt. Claude Holdsworth HUNT - Royal Field Artillery attached XVIII Corps H.Q.

All,

I'd be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of finding out what the above captain was doing immediately prior to dying of wounds on 2 April 1917. I have all his genealogical information and know he was on the staff of XVIII Corps HQ at the time of his death, but not how he was wounded or where. He is buried at Warlincourt Haute British Cemetery.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Best,

Skip

33 minutes ago, Skipo said:

I'll add them to my list of 'wants' at TNA

I may be mistaken but as they can be downloaded, (currently for free), from the National Archive website, I believe you can't actually order them to view in the reading room.

I take it you have his 1917 Probate Calendar entry, which simply shows him as died in France?

Cheers,
Peter

5 minutes ago, PRC said:

I may be mistaken but as they can be downloaded, (currently for free), from the National Archive website, I believe you can't actually order them to view in the reading room.

I take it you have his 1917 Probate Calendar entry, which simply shows him as died in France?

Cheers,
Peter

Peter, correct. I should have pointed that out!

My fault for not checking within the actual items! Much appreciated and I have just downloaded those documents - looks like my afternoon is taken care of!

Much appreciated both of you, and to Terry for confirmation of his staff appointment.

Best,

Skip

Looking at Farndale's History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery Western Front 1914-18 (Annex C) which outlines Command and Control arrangements in France, the Corps Artillery HQ  seems to include the following GSO3 appointments:

Reconnaissance Officer

Staff Captain 

Orderly Officer

Staff Captain Counter Bombardment

That's perfect Ian as I've just gone through WO 95/955 and it has HUNT as 'RO to GOC 18 Corps'. So a Reconnaissance Officer to Lt-Gen Sir Ivor MAXSE. Although the war diary doesn't state what recce he was carrying out when wounded, it does record that this was by shellfire on 25 March and confirms that he died on 2 April.

Many thanks to everyone who replied. Very much appreciated.

Best,

Skip

Does anyone know what the exact role a Reconnaissance Officer to a Corps GOC was? I'm guessing locating the best placement of batteries to support the GOC's plans, i.e. an assault or defence, but this is just a guess and I would be very grateful of expert advice.

Best,

Skip

• 5 months later...

All,

I'm researching Claude Holdsworth HUNT, an RFA officer who died of wounds on 2 April 1917. I'm stuck on one point - on 1 Feb 1916 he had been appointed aide-de-camp vice Lt W H Berwick but I cannot find out who he would have been ADC to. Can anyone assist please?

Very grateful for responses.

Best,

Skip

I cannot get the person, but there is a photo from Radley

hunt.jpg.e64587999254620013c3113b716217b1.jpg

I see you had an earlier thread on this man

Thanks Corisande, I had forgotten about that thread.

Thanks to the answers on it, I managed to find out from the files suggested that he was wounded by shellfire on 25 March and later died of his wounds. Now, the ADC point is the last question to answer. It's a small point but it would be good to get to the bottom of it if possible.

Best,

Skip

• 5 months later...

I've been searching for the answer to who HUNT became ADC to on 1 Feb 1916 when he was 'appointed aide-de-camp vice Lt W H Berwick' but without any luck.

Does anyone have any pointers please?

Best,

Skip

. .. he replaces a Lt W H Borwick.. who might be  a lead...  Borwick appears in various late 1915-1916 Army lists in the Special Lists of 'Local, Temporary & Honorary Ranks etc ' [but not apparently in the main RA lisitings] but with no indication of his role.. if listed amongst numerous dentists, offciers serving in  Africa [WAAF, KAR].. as well as in of Min of Munitions.. or withRecruiting duties etc.. so no help there to his possible role/location as an 'ADC' .. 

Borwick does appear in the Aug 1915 Army List as  a t/Lt RFA in the main RA listings (comm apparently June/July 1915).. he is not in the May 1915 Army List.. but apparently had prior 'War Service' ...shown with crossed swords.   I wonder if an ADC to CRA in a New Army Division..? 

have seen one mention of W H Borwick as later a/Maj and had MC ..and MID  in Italy

further to that this seems to hve been William Heron Borwick, British born.. who had served with Australian troops in South Africa.. returned to England in 1915 to join RA .. apparently nearly 50..

Edited by battiscombe
addition

Thanks Battiscombe, I'm now trying to locate the original source for the ADC information so I can backtrack (my bad admin!) but the correction of the surname Borwick is helpful in itself and much appreciated.

ATB,

Skip

Thanks again Battiscombe - just noticed your edit with Borwick's full name. Good spot and a very interesting man by the look of it. Hopefully one of these extra bits of information leads to more info on his position as ADC.

Best,

Skip

The Cross of Sacrifice: Officers Who Died in the Service of British, Indian, and East African Regiments and Corps 1914-1919 indicates that Captain Claude Holdsworth Hunt was serving with HQ, 18th Corps when he died of wounds on 2 April 1917.

The St. Peter's College Radley Register 1847-1947 indicates that he was educated there from Lent 1902 to 1905. He was born in 1886, the son o Francis Holdsworth Hunt, Topcliffe Grange, Farnborough, Kent. He worked at the Stock Exchange prior to the war and was in Canada in 1912. He was mentioned in dispatches and died of wounds in France on 2 April 1917. He married Gwendoline, daughter of G. N. Murton, of Petleys, Downe, Kent.

The Inns of Court O.T.C. during the Great War indicates that he joined the Squadron of the Inns of Court as No. 379 on 24 March 1909 and was discharged on 16 Sept 1911. He rejoined as K/2289 on 10 December 1914. 

Major William Heron Borwick was educated at Clifton College and The Clifton College Register indicates that was an ADC but does not indicate for whom he was ADC.

Thanks rflory. That all chimes nicely with what I have and provides useful secondary references for his OTC service so much appreciated. 

I located the regional source for the ADC mention - Supplement to The London Gazette 10 April 1916:

REGULAR FORCES

Commands and Staff.

The undermentioned appointments are made:-

Personal Staff.

Aide-de-Camp-

Temporary Second Lieutenant C. H. Hunt, Royal Artillery, vice temporary Lieutenant W. H. Borwick. Dated 1st February, 1916.

I finally found the answer to the ADC question: Services of Military Officers of the Army, Arranged Alphabetically, Corrected to December 1920 indicates that Lieutenant W H Borwick served as ADC to the GOC, RA, 23 Division from 23 November 1915 to 31 January 1916.  According to Order of Battle of Divisions, Part 3 Brigadier General D J M Fasson served as GOC, RA, 23rd Division (also known as CRA, 23rd Division) from 24 June 1915 to 14 January 1917.

Wow. Thanks so much rflory. That's a fantastic bit of sleuthing and very much appreciated - Brigadier-General Disney John Menzies Fasson. 

Huge thanks for taking the time to find that as I had no idea how it could be established.

All the best,

Skip