Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

41 Machine Gun Battalion Casualties 5 Oct 1918 - Ghelevelt

kelvintruss

image.png.8c332b89e3cc234949f4054ffab6facd.png

Good day all, War Diary WO 95/2627/5 records the death by shelling of 25 members of B Coy on 5 Oct 1918, however I can only locate one (possibly) related record in CWGC records: Benjamin Wattonhttps://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/163444/b-watton/.  A Walter Jenkins also died on 5th but he had been wounded on 1 Oct. It seems odd that I cant find any other mention of the 25 killed anywhere. can anyone suggest where else to look?  Thanks (Also, what is the word in paranthesis after B Coy? A ecehelon?

21 hours ago, kelvintruss said:

Also, what is the word in paranthesis after B Coy?

Almost certainly the name of the company leader. Can't help with the 25 death but believe that there must be a serious error somewhere.

When seareching for MGC on the CWGC web site i have found you need to do two searches,  one under Machine Gun Corps and the other under Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

I havnt tallied the numbers but there are more 41st MGC Bn men here:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/search-results/?Surname=&Forename=&Initials=&ServiceNum=&Regiment=Machine+Gun+Corps+(Infantry)&DateDeathFromDay=4&DateDeathFromMonth=October&DateDeathFromYear=1918&DateDeathToDay=6&DateDeathToMonth=October&DateDeathToYear=1918&DateOfDeath=&CountryCommemoratedIn=null&Cemetery=&Unit=&Rank=&SecondaryRegiment=&SecondaryUnit=&AgeOfDeath=0&Honours=null&AdditionalInfo=&Tab=&Size=50&Page=1

Equally,  although there are a lot of hits  searching one just  the day and trawling through each page and picking out MGC men is a good, if slow, sanity check.

Edited by AndrewSid

The location's name certainly is Gheluvelt, not Ghelevelt. Gheluvelt is located halfway between Menen and Ypres astride the N8 (nowadays Geluveld). Close to Menen there is Gheluwe, nowadays Geluwe. It's a bit confusing.

I don't think the word in brackets is a name. It also crops up in the first line of the same page (not in brackets) - image.png.90e72472d326db0a0722102120b5850e.png

There's also a reference to "A ??????" in the second para. Could it be "Echelon"?

Rather chilling though; my grandfather was in B Co. of the 41 Bn.!

Edited by Ray Tomlinson

On 11/04/2023 at 18:08, LDT006 said:

Almost certainly the name of the company leader.

Plus one for @kelvintruss and the word in brackets is A Echelon.