Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DAVIES Herbert Edward Charles - RNAS & RAF

Lexus

Hi, My grandfather, Herbert Edward Charles Davies enlisted in the RNAS on the 4th of Sep 1917, service number F37574.  According to his service record his first ship was President II at Crystal Palace.

He was transferred to the RAF, service number 237574, when the RFC and the RNAS merged on the 1st of April 1918.

On his marriage certificate dated the 15th of Sep 1918 he gave his address as "Beechfield House" Penzance, Cornwall, the marriage was celebrated in Tottenham.  He was known to exaggerate and on his marriage cert he gave his occupation as Jeweller even though still serving in the RAF as a batman.

He was discharged on the 26th Feb 1919.

Does anybody know of Beechfield House being used by the military for the purpose of accommodation for service personal?  I have been in contact with Beechfield House but it has evidently changed hands a few times since 1918.

Thank you

Maybe it was a hotel he was stopping at with his officer ? 

I’ve looked at 1921 census but can’t find it 

he could have exaggerated his address too I guess :whistle:

6 hours ago, Lexus said:

My grandfather, Herbert Edward Charles Davies

I see he enlisted under the name of Bertram DAVIES so he did not exaggerate his forenames. 

I would not attach too much importance to his declaring his civilian occupation, rather than "RAF Batman" on his marriage certificate.

Thank you to Allan1892, horatio2 and Coldstreamer for your comments.  What I meant by him being prone to exaggeration comes from family, Herbert being a jeweller was a family joke.