Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Cheshire Battalion 24th March 1918

White

Does anyone have information of what happened and where the 10th Cheshire Battalion were on this day.  My grandfather Samuel White W/400 lost his life on this day.  He was 33.  He came from Port Sunlight and was an employee of Lever Brothers.

Morning,

The War Diary is free to view but you need to register first,

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353361

(There is a 3 page report on the actions about this date in the WD).

He was drafted to France on 25 September 1915 so you will be able to track his movements from this date.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

On 09/04/2023 at 10:17, White said:

and where the 10th Cheshire Battalion were on this day. 

The article above suggests he was 13th Battalion when killed.

Edit: UKSDGW says 10th. Soldier's Effects also has 10th, widow: Jane.

Edited by Alan24

He enlisted with the 13th Battalion but they were disbanded in France in Feb.1918 and it was probably at this time that he was posted to the 10th Battalion. He would have only been with them for a few weeks.

BillyH.

39 minutes ago, BillyH said:

He enlisted with the 13th Battalion but they were disbanded in France in Feb.1918 and it was probably at this time that he was posted to the 10th Battalion. He would have only been with them for a few weeks.

BillyH.

Thanks, that explains it. 

This link to the 13th Bn War Diaries will also be of interest to the original poster. 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353375 

Also read the War Diary of 7 Infantry Brigade (WO 95/2242) of 25 Div for 24/03/1918. It explains that 120 men of the South Staffords and 60 men of the 10 Cheshires were not able to be withdrawn from their positions. In the attached papers there is a map showing the locations of these men who could not be withdrawn.

Brian

Thank you so much for your comments.  I did wonder about him being in another Battalion.  He was not listed on National Archives in list of war dead.  It is a pity the photograph is not like the ones we have today but I can see he looks like my dad.  Yes his wife was Jane.  He had four children.  My dad was Samuel, my brother Samuel, my nephew Samuel and my grandson just has Samuel as his second name.  My dad worked at Lever Brothers, so did my brother, I went to Church Drive and lived there until my early teens.  In Bebington Methodist Church there was a roll of honour he was listed on it but listed as Samuel Lancaster......don't know why,  I know the Lancaster was dropped at some time.  

3 minutes ago, White said:

In Bebington Methodist Church there was a roll of honour he was listed on it but listed as Samuel Lancaster......don't know why,  I know the Lancaster was dropped at some time.  

His birth was registered as Samuel White, a couple of months before his parents (Margaret Annie White and Peter Lancaster) were married. However, he was baptised as Samuel Lancaster White. He is also commemorated on the Memorial Boards inside St. Andrew' Church in Lower Bebington (as Samuel Lancaster) and on the Port Sunlight War Memorial as S. White.

Confusing, but true!

BillyH.

Ohhhh thank you........*** yes confusing  ......learning so much .....so really my family should be Lancaster........wonder why they didnt keep that name?  I notice in your book there is a piece about him.  Do you have any copies of the book left.  How much would that be if you do.  Thank you again

2 hours ago, White said:

......wonder why they didnt keep that name?

It was standard practice at the time for an illegitimate child to take the mother's surname on the birth certificate. It was also common to give the father's surname as the child's middle name.

With the parents having married soon after, he probably used Lancaster as the family name growing up, along with his mother and any younger siblings 

7 hours ago, White said:

I notice in your book there is a piece about him.  Do you have any copies of the book left.  How much would that be if you do. 

I will get back to you off the Forum with some details.        BillyH.

Hi White

10th Cheshire's 25th Division, on 21st March 1918 in the area of Lagnicourt sector.

At dawn on the 24/03/1918 Much enemy movement east and southeast of Vaulx was observed.

3-10pm in the area of Beugnatre.

By 7.30pm in the area of Loceast Wood, north of Achiet-Le-Grand. Also check out the war diary of the 1st Battalion Wiltshire Regiment for that period.

Good Luck

Andy