Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oil drum Lid?

Arne Vandendriessche

Hello evryone, 

I found this with my metal detector yesterday, im sure its WW1 because there was a military buckle with it.   

Can someone identify it for me? 

Arne

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-08 at 18.02.29.jpeg

• Arne Vandendriessche changed the title to Oil drum Lid?

Probably not a lid, rather the top of the pail (drum) and permanently fitted to the pail. looks like it originally had a a two piece machined fitting for the main filling spout, similar to what is present at the vent port, where a cap for shipping or a pouring spout could have been screwed in. This fitting looks to have been much larger than would be seen today on a transport pail or a 200L drum.

Looks very WW1 period, with multiple expensive aspects to the manufacture that were substantially streamlined by WW2 and manufactured at much lower cost.

Size is hard to judge, looks a slightly larger diameter than a modern 20 L pail. A 5 gallon (imperial) would be about 23L so would expect that to be very similar to a modern 20 litres. I have no knowledge of the various British Army sizes for fuel and oil pails. From the design of the handle, it was intended to be lifted by one man using one hand. That would have limited the size to not more than about 10 gallons (44.5 litre). 

Yes. it is the top of a French 25 litre petrol tin. These were used up until the 1950's, a little like the British 2 gallon petrol tin. Often carried on the side of trucks.

AAA.jpg

Here is one that i have

IMG_4139.JPG

That makes a lot of sense. I suspect the British also used some of these, I have seen photos of troops carrying stores forward where individual soldiers are carrying one container on its side, on their shoulder, using one hand on the handle and the other arm to steady the container. These have looked bigger than 5 gallons.

The English language has poor definitions on some words. To me a "drum" is a container for liquid that is too heavy to be lifted by one man eg 100L and 200L drums.

Smaller containers that a man can lift I prefer to call "pails" or "cans". These are typically less than 45 L.

GWT, thats a lovely example. Any idea of the date of manufacture?

I checked it for dates but couldn't find any. The markings suggested that it has been used for carrying paraffin. You do see some dated and i have seen some marked with US, which i imagine were manufactured in France for a US contract. They were also used by the Germans during WW2 and i am sure up until the 1950's on farms and garages. Unlike the British petrol tins they are made of much thicker metal and will take quite a lot of punishment. However pouring petrol into the truck without spilling any would be a nightmare. 

Yes, i know what you mean about the language. It is like a mini drum. So drum shaped, only smaller. I would be inclined to call it a tin or perhaps a can. A pail however would be to me a bucket?    

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Can you please give me the inscriptions that are on the top part?

Arne