Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify Cap Badge please

Simon J Emmerson

Good Evening Folks. A recent purchase. I'm unsure about this chaps cap badge. Initially I thought he's using a RND shoulder title? Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Regards Simon 

Screenshot_20230408_180321_Gallery.jpg

20230408_175234.jpg

5 minutes ago, Simon J Emmerson said:

Good Evening Folks. A recent purchase. I'm unsure about this chaps cap badge. Initially I thought he's using a RND shoulder title? 

Regards Simon 

Screenshot_20230408_180321_Gallery.jpg

I think you are correct. 

8905D579-DE39-4DF0-AB36-33348D7B9299.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

I think you are correct. 

8905D579-DE39-4DF0-AB36-33348D7B9299.jpeg

Thank you. It's the first time I've seen this example on a studio photo postcard. 

4 minutes ago, Simon J Emmerson said:

Thank you. It's the first time I've seen this example on a studio photo postcard. 

Yes there was a period Simon when it was quite common for the shoulder title to be used as cap insignia by some of the division’s men.  See also: 

11 minutes ago, Simon J Emmerson said:

I found a couple of old threads with R.N.D. shoulder titles being worn as cap badges. 

Edit. I see @FROGSMILE beat me to it. 

Edited by GWF1967

Thank you Gents for your help and time. 

13 minutes ago, tonydb said:

Thought I would share this image Hood cap badge and RND shoulder title fitted to cap.

Tony.Screenshot_20230409-151750_Chrome.jpg.32f3fec17d10b13155c541f46fd2557e.jpg

Fantastic!  And no less than two chin straps too.  I imagine that was probably his tiddly rig for a run ashore…

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/04/2023 at 15:36, FROGSMILE said:

Fantastic!  And no less than two chin straps too.  I imagine that was probably his tiddly rig for a run ashore…

I agree a super photo but in fact one chinstrap with the doubled over piece placed above the badges and additional buckles added. This sartorial deviation from the normal placement of the chinstrap was not uncommon nor was the additional of extra buckles. I have a cap in my collection with a similar configuration.

42 minutes ago, mark holden said:

I agree a super photo but in fact one chinstrap with the doubled over piece placed above the badges and additional buckles added. This sartorial deviation from the normal placement of the chinstrap was not uncommon nor was the additional of extra buckles. I have a cap in my collection with a similar configuration.

Ah yes, I see it now, the extra brass adjusters threw me.

Edited by FROGSMILE