Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Schallmeßtrupp or Schallmesstrupp

stevenbecker

Mates,

I notice a few German units in Palestine, that show up in Pasha II, dealing with Sound measurement

While Its hard to get a handle on them all, I have at lest two units identified?

Bank Hans     Gefr    Schallmeßtrupp 124 (Sound measurement Troop)    1917-18    (1897 at Glückstadt ) vermißt MIA possibly PoW 28-9-18 in Jordan Palästina

Mendelsohn Gerhard     Kanonier    Schallmesstr. 44 - (Sound Ranging)     1917-18    (1893 at Eisleben DoD 21-10-18) died at Feld Lazarett 218 near Derat-Nazareth buried German military cemetery Dar'a Syria (not identified)?
Kemmler Hermann    Musketier    Schallmesstrupp 44 (Sound Measurement) or Schallmesstr. 44 - (Sound Ranging)     1917-18    (1895 at Jena Thüringen DoD 17-10-18) Gefangen Beisan 23.09.1918. (PoW 23-9-18 at Beisan) Heimatadresse: Jena Kollegienstr.5. Nicht nach Kairo überführt.

There appear part of the many Artillery support units like; Lichtsignalzug & Blinker-Zug units 27, 28 and 170

But I am unsure of there make up, like how many men did each unit hold and what type of Equiptment used?

Do any of you have any details on them?

S.B

Steve

Cron - the history of the German Army in the World War - gives the establishment of a Schallmeßtrupp as 2 Officers and 14 NCOs and men for the Meßplanstelle (where the information from the individual posts was collated) and 12 persons of unspecific rank for each Meßstelle (Ranging posts). It is not specific to how many Ranging Posts belonged to the unit but does record that a Lichtmeßtrupp had 5 or 6, so probably not unreasonable that a Schallmeßtrupp had the same number.

The relevant chapter from „The German Army Handbook of 1918“ which as you know is based on intelligence gleaned on the western front.

Charlie

IMG_4665.jpeg

IMG_4666.jpeg

Schallmesstechnik was a method developed during the Great War for locating enemy artillery by measuring the time difference of the bang from a gun, recorded from two or more microphone positions. Still used today in Bundeswehr.

MB

BFDBE7D7-C495-4455-971A-1C2A59C68A0F.jpeg

Edited by KizmeRD
Photo added

Mates,

Thank you again for your comments, I was unsure to look at what these units were.

S.B