Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Handbook of the German Army: Home and Colonial (1912, amended to August 1914)

ColonelKlink1942

Hey gang!

The second of two book-type Great War-era artifacts in my collection is a recently acquired one from a month ago. This is, as the title says, a handbook on the German army, both at home and abroad, a fourth edition published in 1912 and later amended for August 1914.

Like the Field Service Pocket Book, this was issued to officers who wished to have a comprehensive view of the German army during peacetime or to refer to during maneuvers or training. Though not official numbers or facts and figures, the handbook showcases several different aspects of the German army during this time, such as recruitment, training, quarters, transport and supply chain, signal flags, medical services, marching instructions, columns of men, arms, armour, and so on.

It also has a bunch of really neat coloured plates in the back of the book, of various uniforms and badges and so on, distinguishing colours and ranks and so on from one another. I didn't count them, but in the photos I've provided, there are probably 50-odd plates in here, these are only a handful I took off the top. Enjoy!spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by ColonelKlink1942

Great find!

The Australian War Memorial has recently digitized their copy of this handbook.  It's available at https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C2876538  It may help in reducing the amount you have to handle your volume.

On 08/04/2023 at 16:29, A Rankin said:

Great find!

The Australian War Memorial has recently digitized their copy of this handbook.  It's available at https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C2876538  It may help in reducing the amount you have to handle your volume.

It is also the book that was periodically updated as the CDS/SS manual German Army in the Field