Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Field Service Pocket Book (1914) (If it doesn't belong here, please tell me where to post it)

ColonelKlink1942

Hey gang!

I am a lover of history and a collector of many antiques, here's one that I've had for several years, yet (regrettably) haven't given much love and attention.

I picked this up at a gun show around 2015/16, and in the few times I leafed through it, I was impressed by the level of information and the condition of the pages themselves, despite being water-damaged. The coloured plates and the instructional diagrams are something that intrigued me as well. If this book could talk, imagine the stories it would have to share.

From what research I have done (which isn't a whole lot), this pocket book would've been issued to NCOs and COs accordingly (correct me if I'm wrong). and was very handy for use and reference while in the field, outlining and instructing each officer on various things from figuring out how many pounds of oats were needed to feed the horses, marching discipline, transport, supply chain, map reading, morse code, signal flags, and so on. This particular pocket book appears to be a first edition, as it makes no mention of later reprints with amendments. On the cover, there are the initials "J.C." and "87", though I haven't looked into what that corresponds to. Are those the initials and regiment numbers of the officer who owned this, or merely some identification characters for a library or archives?

Regardless, please enjoy these photos, and I welcome the wealth of knowledge that you folks undoubtedly have about a piece like this. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I own one of these too and also in good condition. They are fascinating books. The J.C. and 87 could be the initials and service number of the owner alright but officers did not have numbers. On the inside cover of my copy is A.E. Huggins, Sergt., and there are a few possible matches.