Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th (City of Bristol) Battalion Bristol attack image.

the_ageing_young_rebel

Hello all,

I was sent this article and image many years ago on this forum, and ever since hoped to find a higher resolution version or more information about it. I don't suppose anybody better at reasearch that me has any tips where I might find more? Its an image that claims to be of the 1st/4th Gloucestershire Regiment's attack on the Leipzig Redoubt on the 22nd of August 1916

Thanks in advance

DSC02048.JPG

DSC02050.JPG

Edited by the_ageing_young_rebel

According to the IWM, they have the same photo with the following caption

“Somme Offensive, Battle of Albert. Panoramic view of British troops, visible as dots just below the horizon, attacking German trenches near Mametz, on 1 July. The trench lines are clearly marked by the white chalk excavated during their construction.”

If you click on the link, it will take you to the IWM copy of the photo, and if you are any good with photo editing, you can zoom in on the photo, take screenshots of different sections of the photo and then paste them back together as a large photo file. It is very high resolution even when fully zoomed in.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205193868

You can download a copy of the photo from the IWM web page, but it is lower resolution than what you already have.

Edited by temptage

1 hour ago, temptage said:

According to the IWM, they have the same photo with the following caption

“Somme Offensive, Battle of Albert. Panoramic view of British troops, visible as dots just below the horizon, attacking German trenches near Mametz, on 1 July. The trench lines are clearly marked by the white chalk excavated during their construction.”

Thanks for that, thats really helpful. Its a shame its not of the attack on the 22nd as I'd always assumed though. Unless the IWM have discribed it incorrectly. Looking again at the good condition of the grass though, I assume it is a photo from the 1st