Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone know where the 0S maps are located?

stillicho

I thought they'd be on the NA but cannot seem to find them. I have found Amiens from a third party website but that is all.

17 minutes ago, stillicho said:

I thought they'd be on the NA but cannot seem to find them. I have found Amiens from a third party website but that is all.

@WhiteStarLine is probably the best person in the forum to give advice on mapping.

British Library?

@stillicho, I'm not sure what you mean by the OS maps.  The name is usually associated with the series of maps of the Ordnance Surveys Great Britain or the branch itself at Southampton.  If you refer to Great War maps of the Western Front used in northern France and Flanders, then these were produced by the Expeditionary Force itself, albeit with technical assistance and advice from the OS and map reproduction from the Overseas Branch of the Ordnance Survey.

I recognise the map in your second post and that has been georeferenced and is available free* in TrenchMapper.  It is a 1:40,000 map of the Battle of Amiens 1918.  A direct link to the georeferenced version is provided - zoom out to level 12 to see the whole map and pan & zoom and use the opacity slider for the modern landscape. 

Anyone can use any facility but members of The Western Front Association get additional zoom levels and free downloads.

There are almost 6,500 georeferenced maps of the UK, France, Flanders and Gallipoli.  You may also appreciate the massive Haig Artillery map.  This consists of fourteen, 1:20,000 maps stitched together by forum member @Howard, reassembled after scanning. Ypres front 26th October 1917. Somme front 8th August 1918. 1st French Army, 3rd and 4th Armies Artillery dispositions. Printed 8/08/1918.

The Attack of August 8th - Battle of Amiens 1918

Map No. 3
Scale: 1:40,000
Edition: 1920
image.png.c494833c5c1349e69e9df68567475c4d.png

On 06/04/2023 at 15:24, stillicho said:

These,

Map-of-the-Battle-of-Amiens.jpg

That is an Official History map. There are lots more on TrenchMapper.

Most British maps during the war were drawn and printed by the Ordnance Survey in Southampton or at the various branches of the O.S.O. = Ordnance Survey Overseas. They were generally published via the GSGS, the Geographical Section of the General Staff and hence have a GSGS number. The Official Histories were published by the Historical Section of the Committee of Imperial Defence but many do not show which organisation drew and printed them but most assume it was the Ordnance Survey. Other maps were drawn and printed by various Field Survey Companies of the Royal Engineers.

Howard