Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographer help please

BillyH

I attach a small clip from a studio photograph of a WW1 soldier, taken in 1914/15. This is absolutely all there is, the bottom of the photo has been trimmed off or else it is hidden behind a frame.

I would like to find the name of the photographer, and particularly where he operated.  It looks a bit like J.H. BUCCLER to me but any help would be appreciated.

BillyH.

gwf.jpg.96c216674df18bca9c649042c99d7fed.jpg

40 minutes ago, BillyH said:

J.H. BUCCLER

I agree.

Can't find in newspapers 1910-49.

I'll try Leicester University's Special Collections of Directories.

Edited by Kath

I've looked in Ancestry, FMPast, & Directories but can't find him!

His photos appear in the National Portrait Gallery and there is another hit at The National Archives so no slouch, Mr. Baxter! 

Tony

1 hour ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

Try J H Baxter Llandudno

Tony

I agree.

Baxter's operated a studio also in Bangor.

Thanks for all of the interest and suggestions. I do agree that it is J.H. Baxter (thanks Tony) but I did have my doubts because the soldier in question was born and bred in the Potteries and he was still there in 1911. Between 1911 and 1914 he moved to Cheshire and he joined the Cheshire regiment in 1914, training exclusively on the south coast - so no apparent connection to Llandudno.

After a lot more searching I found his sister on the 1911 census and although she was living in Stoke she had a 2 year old son who had been born in Llandudno. I suspect her real home was in Llandudno but she and her son were visiting her father on census night. A good enough connection for me anyway.

BillyH.