Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Hatband" painted on a Brodie

Piper42nd

A friend of a friend took this photo and said the "hatband" was blue though I can't tell from the photo.  The symbol on left side appears to me to be a red hackle leading me to conclude that this is a Black Watch helmet.  Do the experts agree?  I have more questions but they depend on possible answers. Thanks. 

Harvey 

BW helmet.jpg

1 hour ago, Piper42nd said:

A friend of a friend took this photo and said the "hatband" was blue though I can't tell from the photo.  The symbol on left side appears to me to be a red hackle leading me to conclude that this is a Black Watch helmet.  Do the experts agree?  I have more questions but they depend on possible answers. Thanks. 

Harvey 

BW helmet.jpg

Yes, the red hackle/plume shape, as rendered on the helmet was distinctive and typical of units with plumes on their full dress headdress, plus the red colour an icon unique to the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch).

Edited by FROGSMILE

Are there any records that suggest this was a practice followed by one or more of the Black Watch battalions during the war?  

Harvey 

1 hour ago, Piper42nd said:

Are there any records that suggest this was a practice followed by one or more of the Black Watch battalions during the war?  

Harvey 

I don’t know Harvey, the experts on Black Watch matters are @Derek Black @rolt968 and  @ronmarsden  - I’m not sure what’s happened to the latter - who I’ve not seen post here for sometime, but his photographic collection is unmatched.  I hope that he’s still with us.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Photographic evidence is uneven on the utilization of the red hackle on Brodie helmets. Painting the hackle on the helmet was one way.  Another, seen in the photo below probably of the 2nd Bn, was to secure an actual red hackle in a headband circumscribing the outside of the helmet.

BWPipersBeirutWW1.jpg.15a3b8cc60b0a9906e46cfe989d37e9e.jpg

I believe those are Wolseley helmets are they not?  They would have a pugaree to insert the hackles into.

42 minutes ago, Piper42nd said:

I believe those are Wolseley helmets are they not?  They would have a pugaree to insert the hackles into.

No they are steel helmets with khaki covers Harvey.  There were a lot of battalions of the Black Watch and I suspect there were variations between them.  You will no doubt hear more from those who follow the regiment especially closely.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, Piper42nd said:

My apologies gordon92.

No apology needed.

If you are further interested in this topic, you may wish to scan Ron Marsden's photos at http://blackwatchforums.co.uk/showthread.php?11694-Black-Watch-pictures-from-my-collection or contact ronmarsden by PM on The Black Watch Forums.

13 hours ago, Piper42nd said:

Harvey 

BW helmet.jpg

I used to own this helmet, and the 'friend of a friend's' photo was from eBay 15 or so years ago. I sold it through Regimentals in 2018 for a very pleasing £440 (Marcus Cotton was interested in it, yet don't know if he acquired it).

The 'hat band' is green.

It is a known identification scheme, and my notes record it as being 8th Royal Highlanders, 26th Brigade, 9th Division.

Cheers,

GT.

Thanks G.T.  Small world isn't it.  Now I get to tell my friend that he's got it all wrong.:D

8 hours ago, Grovetown said:

I used to own this helmet, and the 'friend of a friend's' photo was from eBay 15 or so years ago. I sold it through Regimentals in 2018 for a very pleasing £440 (Marcus Cotton was interested in it, yet don't know if he acquired it).

The 'hat band' is green.

It is a known identification scheme, and my notes record it as being 8th Royal Highlanders, 26th Brigade, 9th Division.

Cheers,

GT.

There was another example up for auction on eBay a few months ago. I don't recall the selling price.  Perhaps, it was your helmet recycled.