Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lonsdale Cemetery Documents

the_ageing_young_rebel

I've been looking at some documents attached to Lonsdale Cemetery near Authuille. I've found this document attached to one of the men burried there. (you can find it here: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/532294/a-f-c-parsons/)

I find the CWGC website and archive a little difficult to navigate though and was wondering if anybody could help me with a couple of questions? Are there any documents related to the original grave site listed for these men? And if so how could I find it? And also, there is an Unknown British Soldier listed on this document who originally occupied grave 10. Is there any way to identify which grave that unknown soldier was reburried in?

Thanks in advance for any advice help

doc2302431.jpeg

The current "Lonsdale Cemetery" was originally  Lonsdale Cemetery No 1.
All the soldiers in your document are now buried there but were concentrated from  Lonsdale Cemetery No. 2.
There might be documents relating to Lonsdale Cemetery No. 2. You could ask CWGC if there are any or try to find them.

1 hour ago, the_ageing_young_rebel said:

And also, there is an Unknown British Soldier listed on this document who originally occupied grave 10. Is there any way to identify which grave that unknown soldier was reburried in?

That soldier is now buried in grave 4.X.10 at Lonsdale Cemetery, his original grave at Lonsdale Cemetery No. 2. is not listed.

Hope this helps,

Luc.

34 minutes ago, LDT006 said:

That soldier is now buried in grave 4.X.10 at Lonsdale Cemetery, his original grave at Lonsdale Cemetery No. 2. is not listed.

Hope this helps,

Luc.

Thanks Luc, thats great. I'll contact the CWGC and see if they have anything on No.2

So I have had a responce from the CWGC which states that they can't offer much help about researching Lonsdale cemertry no.2. So I'll start digging through trying to find what I can myself for now.

But does anybody know what the "Plot" column on the above doc refers to? I assume "Row" would be for multiple lines of graves (in this instance marked "X" as perhaps they weren't arranged into lines"), and "Grave" which I assume is just the number assigned to each grave (in this example 1-10)

Also what might "GRU.3" mean before the unknown soldier?

Thanks again!

Edited by the_ageing_young_rebel

In a large cemetery there would be several numbered plots, or groups of graves. In each plot there would be a number of rows of graves, labelled A, B, C, etc. The individual graves in each row would be numbered 1, 2, 3 etc. from one end.

GRU stands for Graves Registration Unit

Hope this helps.

Martin

In this case the letter 'X' is just that and indicates that particular row of numbered graves, it comes after Row W and before Row Y. It can be confusing when looking at a cemetery plan and the plots are indicated by Roman numerals - I've marked the particular grave you're interested in below - Plot 5 Row X Grave 10 which reverts to Plot V Row X Grave 10.

Often you may see a number or initials following a GRU reference, the meaning of these is long lost but they likely relate to an individual or unit who kept the written record of the details on any given grave marker. Also on the CoG-BR's you may see GRWP (Graves Registration Working Party) and often just a initialled reference such as K.M.74 of L.A. 32, these are all references to a grave having been registered.

Some years ago I found precise burial details contained in service records for 28 men all buried in the same cemetery on the 1st July 1916. This information has enabled me to part recreate the cemetery as it was when first created and how the rows and graves were numbered then. Further service records have offered up dates of when some V Corps cemeteries were being used during the war years. This information along with further evidence shows some V Corps cemeteries may have actually been created in the latter months of 1916 and 'added to' during the clearance 1917. I will add that this is a regiment with a 99.9% complete and undamaged record hit that has enabled some very illuminating research into dealing with the dead during hostilities and the decades that followed.

I suspect the only chance you have of finding any grave references for Lonsdale No.2 are contained in service records, many of those 36 originally buried there are named, although the odds of surviving records isn't great but surely worth a punt.

Lonsdale.jpg.6d1c815b6f693f90d398fff0fe4d4581.jpg

(image courtesy of CWGC)

Edited by jay dubaya
add image

6 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

In this case the letter 'X' is just that and indicates that particular row of numbered graves, it comes after Row W and before Row Y.

Ah! I was being an idiot. I was assuming it was the original grave reference, not were they were reburied. I’ll start looking for service records for these men and see if I get lucky.

Your research sounds fascinating as well. And thanks for the tips!

12 hours ago, tootrock said:

Hope this helps.

Thanks Martin, it does help!