Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench club WW1 - replica 1:1

JHideas

Trench club WW1 - replica 1:1
(Trench mace, Knobkerry)
3D printed

Trench raiding clubs were improvised melee weapons used by both the Allies and the Central Powers during World War I. Clubs were used during nighttime trench raiding expeditions as a quiet and effective way of killing or wounding enemy soldiers. The clubs were usually made out of wood. It was common practice to fix a metal object at the striking end. (Wiki).

For more info - Facebook 

https://www.facebook.com/jhideascz

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0ng8P6Ghm6LjbCULHC2722AaokzDH5G55w8WccyN3PJaN67RihToSF8z6HX7vUusvl&id=100063952998521

IMG_7938.jpeg

IMG_7939.jpeg

IMG_7946.jpeg

Never mind the 3D-printed knobkerrie, that looks to be a rather nice-looking Patt. 1903 bayonet that you have there.

Could you put up some more photos of that?

Regards,

JMB

On 03/04/2023 at 00:47, JMB1943 said:

Never mind the 3D-printed knobkerrie, that looks to be a rather nice-looking Patt. 1903 bayonet that you have there.

Could you put up some more photos of that?

I'll second that!

Trajan

Thanks! And especialy clear so repeated thanks!

One of those 1903's with Urdu(?) markings... I had a Pakistani student once who could read these on another bayonet posted on GWF, and I'll see if I can find another one! If I remember aright, the markings were military... 

Julian

Trajan,

This is the thread from 2016 regarding the "Urdu"? script on a bayonet,

Regards,

JMB

• 7 months later...

Cool idea, 3D printing is probably the only way newer collectors will be able to display a trench club without paying a few grand per club. I have been hunting for one for years and I am not confident that I will ever find one that I am confident about. A few weeks ago I got the closest I ever have at a Militaria show. Someone had a German or Austrian spring trench club on their table. When I asked the guy about it he said it wasn't for sale. He had just bought it for $500 and he didn't even know what exactly it was. Not an expert by any means but it looked pretty good. I have built a few trench clubs over the past year and feel like the spring ones are a bit harder to fake than others, but if you're able to source the right materials and had the right tools its certainly possible.

Here are the three I have made, I don't think they would fool a serious collector in hand as they aren't meant to be exact replicas and I haven't tried to age them up. The weight at the end of the hobnail club is copper not lead and the hobnails are modern British army ones (I have seen a club sold as original that had the exact same hobnails with a D in a circle on them). The head of the spring handle is cast epoxy mixed with iron and is mostly non-functional as a club. The spur gear on the gear head club does not resemble the actual ones used (if I ever find a better gear I can replace that). But probably the cheapest way to build a collection of these and a good way to learn what details to look at. Unfortunately there isn't much reference material on these except for David Machnicki's books which there are only a few hundred copies of. I have an Italian book on the subject that I have used as reference called Mazze ferrate della prima guerra mondiale but its in Italian and the pictures are pretty poor.

Also a Royal Engineers marked P1903 bayonet that I got pretty cheap, but now I'm probably going to have to spend more on a scabbard to match than I did on the bayonet (if I ever find one).

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0527.PNG

TC1.jpg

TC2.jpg

On 04/04/2023 at 10:52, JHideas said:

https://www.facebook.com/jhideaIMG_8040.jpeg.1223bf41b1fe7062dffc87031e2f7e9e.jpeg

I have only today become aware of an App (Google Translate) that can be downloaded onto an iPhone or iPad.

The camera of the device is used to take a photo of the language of interest on a sign-post, paint can etc.

Then one enters the name of the foreign language, and the language into which it should be translated.

I have tried this using the photo above, assuming that this is Arabic/Amharic/Pashto script---NO results, but

Kurdish (Kurmanji) gave the last four characters as 142 J

Persian gave variously,

Twelve excellent books......

L 12 K Book La

L 142 Book 12

As a check, I ran a Persian into French translation, which gave

142 Livre 142.

Since Livre en francais = Book en anglais, that was somewhat re-assuring.

The option, "Detect Language ==> English" did not produce a result, which seems somewhat contrary to the above results.

Any and all comments gratefully received!!!

Regards,

JMB

I liked the replicas - but liked the P.1903 even more! What a nice one, such clear markings also! I assume (and am ready to be shot down on this!) this is the 9th Freld Comapny RE? There are some sadly unclear markings for an earlier recipient under that one - perhaps my old mate SS will give it a go? H elikes this sort of thing! Lastly, who is the maker of this beauty? 

Trajan

Edited by trajan

The Google Translate App (see my post above) of this text on the other tang of this Patt. 1903 bayonet (photo below) gave,

Kurdish (kumanji) ===> k Kat 4675 [only once out of 5 attempts; the recognition software does seem a bit "iffy"--is it the non-clean image; I may try with something like print Fraktur].

This is reminiscent of the type of response that came back for a visual translation of my Patt. 1903 that was originally posted in 2016 (see post above).

Stoppage Drill:  What I see is "La'ak" with a small figure 2  in a superimposed position, then something obscured by corrosion, then a figure 5, and "ba'a" or possibly "ba'at" followed by a figure 3, then "R" finishing off with a number "1160"

Trajan's student (Rida) She wrote:  "I read the inscription, but the letters together do not make up a word. It may be a specific number given to this bayonet perhaps. Its definitely Urdu though, and what confirms it is that although the letters make no sense, the numerals are certainly Urdu. It reads 'Laak 2 5B 116.3' "

However, we never did get to the bottom of it.

Regards,

JMB

EDIT: The App worked perfectly with a newspaper article in Fraktur from 1878; possibly there is something about the background of the metal tang that the algorithm does not handle well.

bayowriting-2.jpeg.5201ef94cf19a3c92b5b568f1b0c8f50.jpeg

Edited by JMB1943
Add info.

On 03/12/2023 at 09:33, trajan said:

I liked the replicas - but liked the P.1903 even more! What a nice one, such clear markings also! I assume (and am ready to be shot down on this!) this is the 9th Freld Comapny RE? There are some sadly unclear markings for an earlier recipient under that one - perhaps my old mate SS will give it a go? H elikes this sort of thing! Lastly, who is the maker of this beauty? 

Trajan

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdish_languages

Danaz,

Yes, I had visited that site and the general information is interesting, but it did not provide answers to the translated script.

Regards,

JMB