Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gommecourt end of June 1916

trucker

Good Evening.

I believe the 5th North Staffords and the 280th brigade R.F.A were both at Gommecourt on the build up to the start of the Somme,does anyone have a more precise position for them.One that I could visit. The reason for this request is my Grandfather was in the N.Staffords and his younger brother in the R.F.A.It would be nice to think that they met up at the time as the younger brother was killed later in the war and this may have been the last time they met.

Many thanks for any help anyone may give.

Cheers Bob

3 hours ago, trucker said:

Good Evening.

I believe the 5th North Staffords and the 280th brigade R.F.A were both at Gommecourt on the build up to the start of the Somme,does anyone have a more precise position for them.One that I could visit. The reason for this request is my Grandfather was in the N.Staffords and his younger brother in the R.F.A.It would be nice to think that they met up at the time as the younger brother was killed later in the war and this may have been the last time they met.

Many thanks for any help anyone may give.

Cheers Bob

Hi Bob.

Please forgive me if you already know this but the National Archives hold the War Diary for the 1/5 North Staffordshire Regiment covering the dates 1st February 1915 to 31st January 1918 at this link https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354504 The document is free to download when registered is hold information in day to day entries and appendices that you may find useful and will almost certainly record locations.

The War Diary for the 280th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery for the dates 1st October 1915 to 30th June 1919 can be found at https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354905

I hope that is of some use.

Edited by Gunner 87

Many thanks Gunner 87 I have got the war diaries and am slowly working my way through them and have gained some knowledge already.

Thanks again.

Cheers Bob