Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abu Tulul – March 1918

Eran Tearosh

I just published a new article (In Hebrew) about the events around Wadi 'Auja in March 1918 and thought it might interest some members here.

Abu Tulul (Jordan Valley) is known especially as the site of a sharp event named 'The affair of Abu Tulul', when German & Turkish forces attempted to storm this ridge on July 14th 1918, and were repulsed by Australian Light Horse. Abu Tulul and Musallabe Hill created a salient in the EEF's front line, and as it could be attacked from three directions it was a very tempting objective for the Ottoman forces. Prior to the July affair, on April 11th, 1918, Musallabe Hill was attacked, this time repulsed by The Camel Brigade.

However, somehow, the capture of Abu Tulul and Musallabe Hill and nearby Kh. el Beiyudat is less known, although it had significant importance at the time, and the need for this action triggered 'The actions of Tel 'Asur', that completed the establishment of the EEF's front line across the country, nicknamed 'The line of the two 'Auja's'.  

Abu Tulul, Musallabe Hill and Kh. El Beiyudat are located north of Jericho, near the north bank of Wadi 'Auja – all easily accessible today via Road 90.

Basically, after the capture of Jericho in February, Allenby felt that the area captured is not big enough to create a solid base for his planned activities east of the Jordan River. Therefore, he decided to advance north from Jericho and to capture the water-rich Wadi 'Auja and establish a new front line north of the wadi. The task was allotted to the 181st Brigade, 60th Division, enforced by the Auckland Mounted Rifles Regiment (NZMR, Anzac Mounted Division).

Writing the article was more challenging than I imagined. There are only a few paragraphs regarding this action in the BOH (Falls) and the History of the 60th Division didn't help much either. I found some War Diaries of units involved (Alas, not all) and a few more details in NZ's sources.

Based on these, I tried to put together the events of that day. Here's a translation of the part of the article that refers to the fighting:

On the evening of March 8, 1918, the 181st Brigade convened at Tel el-Sultan (then, north of Jericho) and after dark began to move north to the various deployment positions, south of Wadi 'Auja. In the plain, battalions 2/21 and 2/22 crossed wadis Obeideh and 'Auja around 5:30 A.M. and sent messages that they were ready to continue advancing towards Khirbet el-Beiyudat and the area to its east.   However, further progress had to be postponed. Battalion 2/24, under orders to attack the Abu Tulul ridge from the west, was delayed by precipitous gorges (Wadi Sebata), could not find a way through in the darkness and had to wait for the light of dawn. Battalion 2/22, which was supposed to attack  Khirbet Auja a-Tahta and Khirbet el-Beiyudat, could not advance before their comrades took over the ridge, which covered from above and from the flank the area where they were to advance. Battalion 2/21, which stood on the right (east) of Battalion 2/22, could not move further either, before the advance of the 2/22 on the left. The two battalions had to wait for the Abu Tulul ridge to be taken, and in the meantime were subjected to artillery fire for many hours. 

The attack of battalion 2/24 on the Abu Tulul ridge began at 08:15, after half an hour of artillery bombardment, but heavy machine gun fire pinned to the ground and checked their advance. At noon, the hill was bombarded again and the attack resumed. One company managed to get a hold on the southeastern slope, but the attack from the west was again unsuccessful. At this point, Lieutenant-Colonel Streatfield called on a part of the reserve battalion, 2/23, to advance and reinforce the 2/24 company on the southeastern slope. At 2:30 P.M., the attack resumed, this time from this direction and this time successfully. At the same time, the two battalions to the east also advanced, and by the evening the 181st Brigade had completed the takeover of all its objectives.  At the end of the day, Battalion 2/21 stood to the east, with one company watching over the mouth of Wadi 'Auja to the Jordan River (Makhadet Mundessa); To his left stood the 2/22 Battalion, around Khirbet el-Beiyudat; Battalion 2/24, reinforced with part of Battalion 2/23, was positioned on the Abu Tulul ridge. and probably also advanced to Musallabe – an isolated high hill, north of the main ridge.

Based on the info collected and several visits to this area over the years, I suggest this:

1185642586_.jpg.91bafbb30cb2c88eca4a0946487d4a5d.jpg

I also enclose a section of the BOH map for that action.

810878269_.jpg.6c1e0cc3d4d0c3df5e8162f2a459b218.jpg

Although I already published the article, I'd love to learn more – I found the March 1918 War Diaries of 2/21 & 2/23 battalions, something of the 2/22 (Wrong dates…), but nothing at all of the 2/24 battalion (The Queen's). That battalion had the most difficult fighting and suffered most the brigade's casualties of that day (Dead buried or commemorated at Mt. Scopus in Jerusalem). If anyone has the 2/24 war diary of march 1918, it'll be a great help. Also, if any of these 4 battalions published a history – I'd love to know about it.

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

Mate,

The 1st ALHR was under orders of the 59th Bde and the only British Regt mention by them is the 1/7 Cheshires

By the 13 March they came under orders of the 53rd Div

S.B

Hi Steve,

I guess you meant that the 1st ALHR was under orders of the 159 Bde (Not 59), which was one of the 53rd Div brigades. Indeed, the 1/7 Cheshires were a part of that Bde. 

As far as I know, the 1st ALHR came under orders of the 53rd Div around the 9th of March.

The Auckland Mounted Rifles (AMR), remained in the area of Jericho after the February operations and were under orders of the 60th (London) Div, and on this specific date (9th of March) were under orders of the 181st Bde. Two troops (11 Sqn) climbed to the west, to meet the right flank of the 53rd Div at e-Najmeh (Point 2391). The following day (10th of March) different troops (3rd Sqn) were sent again to e-Najmeh, this time there is a specific mention that the Auklands met a patrol of the 1st ALHR, as can be seen on the map of the BOH. 

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

Mate,

Yes sorry 159th Bde

the Regt (1 ALHR) came under (tactical) orders 159 Bde 8 March 

Co op with 1/7 Ches started 9 March

Still under orders 159 Bde as it replaced the 1/7 Ches in the line 9 March at El Munatir,

10 March again replaced the 1/7 Ches at Pear Trench, mention in touch with a NZMR to the left of the 60 Div

Advance again 11 March, held up by fire at Wadi el Akhrafh and Wadi Samieh

It mentioned still with 159 Bde 12 March on outpost line along Wadi Samieh

and the first mention of the 53rd Div is when supply from CTC camels arrived 13 March behind outpost line Wadi Samieh

That said the 14 March the commander 53rd Div arrived and the 1 ALHR meet him to be used as guides at Nejmeh

Cheers

S.B

Mate,

I should add the war diary 1st ALH Bde has this.

The 1 ALHR + two sub sects 1 LH MGS left Beitunia and came under orders 159 Bde at Rummon 1745 8 March

The 1 ALHR left Rummon 0500 to relieve Infantry at En Nejmeh and to protect the flank of the 159 Bde (53 Div in its advance on Kebr Malik 9 March

The 1 LH Bde next mention the 1 ALHR on the 10 March when a dismounted patrol captured a post at Ain Aujah killing 5 Turks and gained touch with a NZMR (60th Div) at Kh el Aujah - El Foka

11 & 12 March still under tactical orders 159 Bde along the line at En Nejmeh and Wadi Aujah

13 March it still stated the Regt is under Tactical orders 159 Bde

The 1st LH Bde returned to Bethlehem 13 March the 1 ALHR still remained with the 159 Bde (53Div) 

The 1 ALHR left Beitin 17 March to return 1 ALH Bde at Bethelhem.

I went throw my lists but found only two men from the 1 ALHR wounded during this time.

KELLY    Richard Augustus    2339    Pte    01 LHR    16R tos B Sqn 7-16 WIA 10-3-18 R/hip & buttock shot reported one wounded during operation around El Muntair with B Sqn under Capt Ryrie held line from Pear Hill to Rummon brothers Leslie 17Bn and Charles 1 LHR

POLLOCK    John    3021    Pte    01 LHR    22R to Isol camp 1-17 to 1 LHTR 1-17 tos A Sqn 2-17 WIA 10-3-17 syovis R/knee accident in camp at Bayud to 1 LHTR 4-17 T/att Guard 26 BSH 5-17 T/att (26th Hotchkiss MG course) school of Instruction Zeitoun 5-17 rtn A Sqn C Troop (Lt MacFarlane's Troop) 6-17 T/att Co Rlwy Constr RE 7-17 to T/S/Smith (from tuckey) 9-17 to S/Smith 11-17 WIA 11-3-18 minor in action at Wadi Samieh near El Munatir to T/S/Smith Cpl (from mycheal) 4-18 revert 6-18 to hosp (VD) 8-18 AAVC Trg unit 10-18 rtn to T/Far/Sgt (from tuckey) 11-18 revert 12-18 

We didn't seam to suffer to badly

I tried to find who commanded the attack on the Post at Ain Aujeh 10 March, but surprisingly the 1 ALHR does not mention it?

Patrols from C Sqn (under Maj Harris) were sent to check Wadi Aujeh and gain touch with the Kiwis and patrols from C Sqn did around 1300hrs

But no mention of any fight.

The Regt reports one Wounded that day and one horse killed in action, so Trooper Kelly B Sqn (under Capt  Ryrie)  was wounded during the action along the outpost line Rummon to to Pear Hill

Cheers

S.B

Thank you Steve - most appreciated!

I hope there are unit histories of the 181st Brigade's various battalions and if someone has one or more of these - to share the relevant pages. 

The AMR's unit history is available online. 

Eran