Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge ID

Al2222

• Admin

Can you post a non coloured version please? And welcome to the forum. 

• Admin

Without seeing the rest  of the image, and not knowing whether it’s a Broderick cap, I agree that Royal Marine Artillery is a decent shout. Can you post a bit more of the image please? Grenadier Guards is another possibility. 

It looks like a fusilier regiment to me, although seeing the rest of the head and shoulders would confirm matters.  There were three such regiments with a badge of that specific shape, The Northumberland Fusiliers, the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and the Royal Munster Fusiliers.

NB.  The photo looks as if it might show the Brodrick cap circa 1902-1905.

DE7E0085-4177-4977-8540-817F7A1D9370.jpeg

522E58E4-27F8-4A3E-A761-5B3EA5B8191B.jpeg

6150AA62-4264-41B7-8651-1CB8348B15EC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 3 weeks later...

For comparison here is a Royal Marine Artillery Broderick cap that was sold at auction a few years ago. 

broderick.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the OP has either, never returned, or not bothered to acknowledge the replies to his query.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Unfortunately the OP has either, never returned, or not bothered to acknowledge the replies to his query.

Last visited the day of the original post. 

• Admin

@Al2222 do you realise you have replies?

My apologies all, I have missed the replies until I had a notification of Michelle's tag. Many thanks for the information - I have attached the full image. 

Thanks,

Al

medium.jpeg

1 hour ago, Al2222 said:

My apologies all, I have missed the replies until I had a notification of Michelle's tag. Many thanks for the information - I have attached the full image. 

Thanks,

Al

medium.jpeg

I have considered the Royal Marine Artillery, as there was a period before WW1 when collar badges were not either, not worn, or took the form of woven worsted thread on some forms of ‘undress’ (working uniform), but that subsequently changed and in any case I’ve ruled them out because the flame shape on their grenade cap badge is different to that of the soldier in your photo.

I remain a little puzzled though, as for a fusilier regiment soldier, as I believe him to be, I would normally expect to see collar badges.  He is wearing an undress frock rather than a tunic, as evidenced by fewer buttons, spaced further apart.  The dark collar suggests one of the two Irish fusilier regiments mentioned above, both of which had Royal appellation and dark blue facings.

See photos below for comparison, some from around the time of the 2nd Boer War, and others early in WW1.   White covers were worn on caps during the official summer months and all of the time in overseas tropical stations.

Are you able to tell us more about the man in your photo, such as his name, home town and birth date?

IMG_7563.jpeg

IMG_7564.jpeg

IMG_7565.jpeg

IMG_7567.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE