Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RND numbered Battalion titles

NR72

Hi all 

I have in my collection numbered shoulder titles for 1 Drake and  3 Hawke Battalions. I have seen online that a 4 Collingwood title exists 

However I have nor seen any others for

2 Benbow 

5 Nelson

6 Howe 

7 Hood

8 Anson 

And possibly 9 RND MGC 

Has anyone got some in there collection,  or have photographic evidence 

Be good to know 

Thanks 

Screenshot_20200702-125618_Instagram.jpg

Thank you for posting those numbered shoulder titles, rarely seen and, I suspect, time-limited in their use. Moreover, the battalion numbers seem to have been rarely used as descriptors. Even Jerrold got them wrong in his RND history (p.6) where he incorrectly names Hawke as 2nd (was 3rd)Battalion and Benbow as 3rd (was 2nd) Battalion of 1st RN Brigade.

Post-Antwerp, in January 1915, Nelson Bn. was transferred from 2nd RN Bde to 1st RN Bde and, although Jerrold does not mention this, became 2nd Bn. of 1st Bde. Th battalion numbers from early 1915 onwards reflect the post-Antwerp re-balancing of the two RN Brigades, caused by the loss of the original Hawke, Benbow and Collingwood Bns. The new battalion numbers are recorded in the early1915 Navy Lists:-

1st RN Bde.:-     1st Bn. Drake;  2nd Bn. Nelson;  3rd Bn. Hawke (being re-formed);  4th Bn. Benbow (being reformed).

2nd RN Bde,:- 5th Bn. Howe;  6th Bn. Hood;  7th Bn. Anson;  8th Bn. Collingwood (being re-formed).

Thus, the only operational battalion to retain its original, 1914 number was Drake (1st Bn.).

At Anzac in April/May 1915 the situation was further complicated by the attachment of Deal Bn. (12th Bn. of RM Bde.) to 1st RN Bde.

The new numbers only saw their full operational deployment when the newly-minted Hawke, Benbow and Collingwood Bns. arrived at Gallipoli in late May 1915 but within ten days Collingwood and Benbow had been disbanded.

It is not clear to what extent numbered titles (shoulder or otherwise) were used after Antwerp The complexity of the Bde./Bn. formations and frequent re-forming makes the demise of he battalion numbering system unsurprising, with battalion names the preferred identifiers. Battalion numbers do not appear in Navy Lists after July 1915. I think the RND MG formations were not numbered as suggested. It will be interesting to see what this topic uncovers

I believe these titles especially the 3rd Hawkes were worn until wars end. I have another complete set of 3 Hawkes and I have seen one other on a  western front souvenir (Hate) belt 

If they made 1 3 4 , there is every possibility they made a 2 Benbow 

Certainly worn 1916 on Somme. I found only the backing plate near Ancre Cemetery. 

13 minutes ago, trenchtrotter said:

Certainly worn 1916 on Somme. I found only the backing plate near Ancre Cemetery. 

Good find