Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool Pal with a 1914 star

mametz

HELLO ALL YOU PALS

I am in posession of a 1914 star named to 10262 Pte J. Nesbit who was a regular in the Liverpool Regt. He was sadly kia on 30-7-16 with the 17th Bn 1st Liverpool Pals, could anyone explain how this would be possible.

Thanks, Graham

Sorry LB

I have inadvertantly deleted your message instead of mine, can you re-post?

Sorry again

Andy

Graham

I have just read "Diary of an Old Contemptable" (which I highly recommend by the way). Private Roe (the writer) went to France in August 1914 with the 1st battalion the East Lancs and was eventually wounded at 2nd Ypres in April 1915. He was in hospital/convalesence until October 1915 whereupon he was passed fit and posted to the 6th (Service) battalion of his regiment, so it could well be that the same thing happened to your man.

Some other forum member may shed some light on why this should happen given that I assume his old battalion was suffering attritional casualties at the very least

He remained a private so it wasn't about promotion, maybe to stiffen the ranks with some "old hands"

All the best Hambo

Hello Mametz,

James Nesbitt was originally a member of the 1st Kings Liverpool Regiment. He probably went to France in August 1914 and was drafted into the Pals as an experienced soldier.

I'm a collector of Liverpool Pals so if you ever want to sell the star!! Sorry, i had to get that in. James Nesbitt was originally from Liverpool and was killed during the attack on Guillemont Village, as were many Pals that day.

Regards,

Bill

Sorry LB

I have inadvertantly deleted your message instead of mine, can you re-post?

Sorry again

Andy

How did you manage that, Andy? I thought you could only delete your own post?

Phil B

Graham

I have just read "Diary of an Old Contemptable" (which I highly recommend by the way). Private Roe (the writer) went to France in August 1914 with the 1st battalion the East Lancs and was eventually wounded at 2nd Ypres in April 1915. He was in hospital/convalesence until October  1915 whereupon he was passed fit and posted to the 6th (Service) battalion of his regiment, so it could well be that the same thing happened to your man.

Some other forum member may shed some light on why this should happen given that I assume his old battalion was suffering attritional casualties at the very least

He remained a private so it wasn't about promotion, maybe to stiffen the ranks with some "old hands"

All the best Hambo

Hi Hambo, thanks for the reply and the book recommendation, I must say that I prefer the first hand accounts, I will put the book on my list.

Back to my man and his medal, I think your explanation is the obvoius one but I thought the 5 digit service number was a bit unusual for a 1914 regular.

best wishes, Graham

Hello Mametz,

James Nesbitt was originally a member of the 1st Kings Liverpool Regiment. He probably went to France in August 1914 and was drafted into the Pals as an experienced soldier.

I'm a collector of Liverpool Pals so if you ever want to sell the star!! Sorry, i had to get that in. James Nesbitt was originally from Liverpool and was killed during the attack on Guillemont Village, as were many Pals that day.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for your reply and your offer to buy my mans medal. I collect Somme casualty medals especialy around Montauban, Longueval, Guillemont Delville Wood areas and if I ever get round to selling the medal I promise to let you know. Just as a matter of interest what do you think the going rate is for the medal. Your explanation of my query is the most likely but I thought the 5 digit service number a bit odd for a 1914 regular. Many thanks Bill and best wishes, Graham

Graham, I have a similar one - 14 star trio to 10524 Sgt B.Evans, KIA with Accrington Pals 27/3/18. I`ve always assumed he was wounded with a regular battalion and came back to the 11thBn. Phil B

I thought the 5 digit service number a bit odd for a 1914 regular.

Hello Graham

These were regimental numbers and it depends on when they started using the numbers. The Kings Own were not the only regiment in 1914 with 5 digit numbers.

Fred

The series started at number 1 in 1882.

Very many regiments had numbers of 5 figures in 1914 ..... it only implies about 300 to 400 per annum, split between two [or four] regular battalions.

RWF were up to 12000.

And I don't know how to re-post!

Graham, I have a similar one - 14 star trio to 10524 Sgt B.Evans, KIA with Accrington Pals 27/3/18. I`ve always assumed he was wounded with a regular battalion and came back to the 11thBn.  Phil B

Hi Phil (sir), Thanks for your reply, dont you think it is strange that the Liverpool Pals /Accrigton Pals and all the other Pals took that many casualties that they could still transfer men to other battalions. I suppose we will never know for sure but it is interesting to talk about it. Many thanks Phil and best wishes. Graham.

The series started at number 1 in 1882.

Very many regiments had numbers of 5 figures in 1914  ..... it only implies about 300 to 400 per annum, split between two [or four] regular battalions.

RWF were up to 12000.

And I don't know how to re-post!

thanks for the reply, I have a lot to learn - best wishes - Graham

Hi Phil (sir), Thanks for your reply, dont you think it is strange that the Liverpool Pals /Accrigton Pals and all the other Pals took that many casualties that they but it is interesting to talk about it.  Graham.

The examples above were actually transferred into Pals` Bns, of course, not out. Generally, a battalion that was low in strength would not be further drained but would be reinforced. A man returning to active duty after wounds to some extent took pot luck on which battalion or even which regiment he went back to. Phil B

• 1 month later...

The 1914 talked about in this discussion has been sold via Bostock medals. As Graham is a collector to Guillemont casualties, he must have been offered another group and had to sell the medal.

On a rather sticky side, this is the second enquiry regarding a Liverpoo Pals casualty i have passed information in the past two weeks, only to see the medal for sale very quickly afterwards. Is the Forum being used just to extricate information regarding the history behind the men, and therefore allowing the seller/dealer to obtain more money?

A rather annoyed Forum member.

Bill

Bill,

I have had this stroke pulled on me a couple of times. I can usually add information to many WW1 KLR postings, often including a photo if a casualty - I now do not do so. I hardly ever reply to queries any more on this site as I am concerned how many requests for information are mercenary and about enhancing medal prices rather than about the man himself. This is a shame and I now only give information on Family History Sites or ask the enquirer to tell me a little about their 'relative' - often such a question does not elicit a reply.

Joe

Bill,

I have had this stroke pulled on me a couple of times. I can usually add information to many WW1 KLR postings, often including a photo if a casualty - I now do not do so. I hardly ever reply to queries any more on this site as I am concerned how many requests for information are mercenary and about enhancing medal prices rather than about the man himself. This is a shame and I now only give information on Family History Sites or ask the enquirer to tell me a little about their 'relative' - often such a question does not elicit a reply.

Joe

hello mametz,private william hunt,18th manchesters qualified for the 1914 star,he was fighting with the 1st batt then transferred to the 18th,then they executed him,i will keep my thoughts about william to myself in case i upset those who think he should have been executed,bernard

thank you all you 'Pals', for your interesting replies. I realise that I have a lot to learn, which is all part of the fun. Mametz

Bill,

Joe

Bill,

Joe

Bill,

Joe

Hi Bill, Its a pity you never hardly reply to queries, you will be sadly missed, Mametz

Hi Bill, Its a pity you never hardly reply to queries, you will be sadly missed, Mametz

Mametz,

I can't understand the meaning of your slighty sarcastic post as i had replied to your original post, and supplied information to you regarding the 1914 star. If you check your mails you will also recall i also mailed a relpy direct to you. I am not however, going to drawn into a childish slanging match, and as Promenade has also added a very similiar posting to mine regarding people who use the Forum to up their medal prices will leave it at that.

Bill

Bill, rise above it mate, don’t let the odd misuse of your vast knowledge upset you, I know how keen you are on the Liverpool Pals and you have helped me and others on the forum in the past, don’t let this one episode rob us all of your knowledge.

Wayne.

Wayne, thank you very much for your kind comment. It is nice to know some of the information that i have passed on has been appreciated by yourself and some other Forum members.

I must concluse with a happy story. Last year Trevor Lynes posted a requst regarding his fathers medals. Pte.William James Lynes had enlisted in the Liverpool Pals and like quite a few of us the medals were no longer in the families possesion. After a few phone calls i managed to prize the 15 trio from the collector, and re-united them with Trevor. He was very grateful and as far as i am concerned that was the best medal purchase i made last year. Trevor did tell me that pre-war his father had been a boxer, and had been a sniper with the 20th King's. He was wounded in 1917 and his boxing days sadly finished.It just shows we should never give up.

Regards,

Bill