Remembered Today:

Our latest trip to Ypres

stephen p nunn

Just back from our latest trip to Ypres. This is how it went:

Saturday 25/3/23

Arrived in France 9.50hrs (local time)

Drove to Ypres and booked in to the Ariane. 11.30hrs

Had a well deserved (old) Orval.

Walked to White House Cemetery St.-Jean-Les-Ypres to pay our respects to Pte. Ralph Mather (I have his VM).

Attended the Last Post.

Had an evening meal at De Kollebloeme.

Sunday 26/3/23

The day of the Gent Wevelgen Cycle Race out of Ypres.

Visited both the Ypres Town Museum and In Flanders Fields Museum.

Watched the end of the Cycle Race.

Attended the Last Post.

Had an evening meal at In 'T Klein Stadhuis.

Monday 27/3/23

Bought some wine.

Got the 13.50hrs crossing.

A lovely time as usual. Regards. Stephen (Maldon).

ypres4.jpg

ypres1.jpg

ypres2.jpg

ypres3.jpg

Hi - yes, busy on Saturday, less so Sunday. Regards. S.

23 minutes ago, stephen p nunn said:

Hi - yes, busy on Saturday, less so Sunday. Regards. S.

Ah good, nice to see people out and about more,Ian.

Some fencing nearby and a notice, but nothing else while we were there. Regards. S.

Edited by stephen p nunn

2 hours ago, stephen p nunn said:

Some fencing nearby and a notice, but nothing else while we were there. Regards. S.

Thanks, Stephen. It'll be closed for up to 2 years, I gather.

Yes - 18 months to 2 years! The Last Post will continue in the area of the Gate (but not under the arch). Regards. S.

• 4 weeks later...

In Ypres around Easter there was still no sign of any scaffolding at the Menin Gate. Locally, there seemed to be some rowing back from the idea that the Gate will be entirely closed during the renovations, which were due to start in earnest on 17th April, although the CWGC and Last Post Association websites still maintain that it will be completely covered up during that period and that the Last Post Ceremony will always take place outside the Gate itself. Perhaps a local could report on the situation now that the work has begun in earnest. 

In my four visits since lockdown, I've noticed some subtle but significant changes in Ypres. The trend to try to broaden tourism in the city beyond the confines of the Great War continues. The cleaned-up parts of the Cloth Hall look wonderful. The restaurants around the Grote Markt are diversifying, with pizza and burger joints in evidence. Sadly, the wonderful Calinor has closed its Botterstraat branch and now trades solely from its workshop outlet just outside the city centre. I am pleased to report that their chocolates  however, are just as good as always. Is the trend towards British-style chunky chips rather than fries a Belgium-wide phenomenon or just limited to Ypres? Bring back the frites! As I've mentioned on the Forum before, the Leroy brewery have changed the taste of good old Hommelbier, as well as its evocative label featuring the skyline of Poperinge. It now has a gingery aftertaste rather than the familiar old tinny/hoppy flavour. It doesn't seem as widely available in the area, either. You no longer get a free glass of it when you arrive at the Ariane, for example! 

Edited by Mark Hone

23 minutes ago, Mark Hone said:

In Ypres around Easter there was still no sign of any scaffolding at the Menin Gate. Locally, there seemed to be some rowing back from the idea that the Gate will be entirely closed during the renovations, which were due to start in earnest on 17th April, although the CWGC and Last Post Association webistes still maintain that it will be completely covered up during that period and that the Last Post Ceremony will always take place outside the Gate itself . Perhaps a local could report on the situation now that the work has begun in earnest. 

In my four visits since lockdown, I've noticed some subtle but significant changes in Ypres. The trend to try to broaden tourism in the city beyond the confines of the Great War continues. The cleaned-up parts of the Cloth Hall look wonderful. The restaurants around the Grote Markt are diversifying, with pizza and burger joints in evidence. Sadly, the wonderful Calinor has closed its Botterstraat branch and now trades solely from its workshop just outside the city centre. I am pleased to report that their chocolates , however, are just as good as always. Is the trend towards British-style chunky chips rather than fries a Belgium-wide phenomenon or just limited to Ypres? Bring back the frites! As I've mentioned on the Forum before, the Leroy brewery have changed the taste of good old Hommelbier, as well as its evocative label featuring the skyline of Poperinge. It now has a gingery aftertaste rather than the familiar old tinny/hoppy flavour. It doesn't seem as widely available in the area, either. You no longer get a free glass of it when you arrive at the Ariane, for example! 

The Last Post on Monday evening was held on the grassy area by the Indian memorial. Photos of the ceremony on Tuesday on the LPA website. 

Edited by sassenach