Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map of P.O.W. camps in Germany.

chris.wight

I came across this map in the digitised Calgary Daily Herald, August 28th, 1918 edition (The Calgary Herald and other Alberta Newspapers have been digitised courtesy of the Alberta government and can be accessed free of charge, here).

The black squares on the map represent prison camps.

post-2466-1139969084.jpg

Chris

Thanks very much.

A very useful map and links.

Kate

I came across this map in the digitised Calgary Daily Herald, August 28th, 1918 edition (The Calgary Herald and other Alberta Newspapers have been digitised courtesy of the Alberta government and can be accessed free of charge, here).

The black squares on the map represent prison camps.

Brilliamt stuff,

jamie

Thanks for the map, just what i need to pinpoint where my father was a pow.

Just had a quick look at the link.

Excellent , look forward to reading more later.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the map, just what i need to pinpoint where my father was a pow.

Cheers

Chris

Ditto that :D

My Granddad was at Geissen

Thank you

Paul

Hi Chris

Yon may interested to know that there is a comprhensive map of POW camps in Germany held at the National Archive, Kew under the reference CO 1047/1078. 'Map of the Main Prison Camps in Germany and Austria'. Printed, cloth. About 26 miles to an inch. Drawn by Mrs Pope-Hennessey, published by Nisbet & Co Ltd., London'. I have found this very useful for tracing movements of men I am interest in.

If, as it appears likely you would be unable to get Kew I can try to e mail it to you but it is quite a large document and may prove difficult to scan and transmit.

Brian

The Pope-Hennessy map was reissued as a "New and Revised Edition with Gazetter" - again by Nisbet for the princely sum of 2/- (yes, real money).

The Gazetter includes a two or three line summary about the camp, location, size etc. and the Army unit reponsible for its administration. This version was reprinted some years ago by the Imperial War Museum and is a very useful reference.

It's still on sale at the IWM - or through thjeir web site. There was a discussion about it a while ago, it now costs about £5 (I reckon probably less than what the two bob would be worth today), I got mine by return of post !

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you. That's a start and I only registered a few moments ago.

hello folks,you can get the map from one of your pals on the forum,get hold of tom morgan thats who i got mine off,he has taken over ray westlakes ww1 book mail order co.and hes cheaper and he gets them to you very quick,the map has also got a description of each camp and where its situated,here is a description of one,weilburg,a small town [pop 3,700],with a castle situated on a rocky eminence,the officers camp consists of a three storey school house in pretty surroundings with garden plots and lawn tennis courts,ive been there its now called butlins skegness.bernard

• 2 weeks later...