Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best Websites For research.

Khloe

Hello Everyone.

I am messaging here in regard to what are The best websites for researching individual soldiers and their records and their lives before and after the war. 
I want to subscribe to a website that will be the most complete regarding records.  I suspect it will probably be Ancestry but i would like to hear what everyone here uses before I commit to a subscription. Also would like to subscribe as i don't want to always clutter here my questions about individual soldiers.

Khloe.

This has been discussed previously many times and there is no clear winner.

Ancestry (+Fold3) and Findmypast are the main contenders. 

Check with your local library as to which they have: that may push you to subscribing to the other to compliment as they both have unique records.

I prefer Findmypast because, to me, they have more accurate transcription, clearer images of service records and some very useful indexing of casualty and hospital admission records.

Don't forget that medal index cards on Ancestry are free to access without a sub, just need to register. 

Charlie

I swap between fmp and ancestry . If I need something not on one I make a note and wait for free weekends like Easter and armistice to look then

• 2 months later...

In addition to the genealogy service providers, I would recommend the following:

It is a given that Chris Baker's longlongtrail website is the go-to website for background info when researching soldiers of the British Army

If you are researching 1914 Star soldiers, Paul Nixon's army service numbers 1881 - 1918 is very useful. 

Here is the index
https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/p/index.html

Here is a particularly useful page for the Suffolk Regiment
https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/07/suffolk-regiment-1st-2nd-battalions.html