The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

HMS Rodney & HMS King George V

Stephen Nulty

Pals

I wonder if somebody could help with a naval query of mine relating to after the First World War

My great grandfather, Robert White, served in the Royal Navy for many years and I am trying to trace details of his service.

However, in addition I know that two of his sons, Robert White and Peter White both served on the Rodney and KGV in the 1930's and perhaps into the Second World War. Both survived the war. Is anybody aware of any crew lists for these ships?

The only documentary evidence which I have unearthed is a small card/pass book belonging to Peter White and perhaps somebody could tell me exactly what it is.

It's a little larger than a credit card and is pale green. Only the paper on the inside front cover and part of the inside back cover remain, and I don't know if there were any other pages.

The inside front states "S.247a (Established June, 1933, R???)

Surname (White)

Christian Name(s) (P)

Rating (Sto 1/2)

G or T (G)

at the bottom it has "10715 ) Wt. 45310"

The back sheet has "....H.M.S. (K.G.V)

...RT (WHITE)

Part of Ship (Eng. Rm.)

Mess (61)

Religion ( C. of E.)

and the printing at the bottom of the sheet states "...Ltd. Cp.745/5)

I will try to scan and post, but thought pals may be able to help me with this one anyway.

Regards

Stephen Nulty

Stephen

It appears to be what used to be called a Station Card. During my time in the RN these cards were issued to junior ratings and were handed in to the Quartermaster before proceeding on shore leave.

Rating = Stoker First or Second Class. Do not know why it says Sto 1/2, I would have thought being a G man, see below, he would be Stoker First Class.

G or T (G) = Grog. That means he was issued a rum ration everyday, and would therefore be 20 years old or more. T by the way means Temperance.

HMS KGV speaks for itself.

Part of Ship (Where he worked) = Engine Room.

Lived in No 61 Mess.

Religion = Church of England.

If it is a Station Card the colour green would signify that he was in the Starboard Watch of the Engine Room Watch Bill (Shift Pattern).

Not sure what the numbers and ...RT (White) mean. If you scan the card other things may fall into place.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards

John Milner

Is anybody aware of any crew lists for these ships?

Stephen,

Alas as far as i know, the ships lists, aka musters have been pulped for 20th Century ships :(

Fred

John

Thanks for the reply, it's quite interesting. Glad to hear he was a "grog" man !

Fred

Thanks, also. I had a suspicion that the lists had been destroyed, as I seem to recall someone asking this in an earlier thread.

Card no scanned and attached

post-1356-1112863461.jpg

Fred

Yes, I think you're right. Thanks for pointing that out.

The words after S.247a...... is REVISED and would have been followed by a date.

Stephen

It is a Station Card, I had a similar one when serving on Ark Royal 1970-72.

The ..PT = Part. The two main Watches were split into parts, usually Starboard One and Two and Port One and Two, however, some departments split their watches into three and named them after colours, ie Red, White and Blue, so it would appear that P White was in Starboard Watch-White. The Parts system was used so that if all the watch was not required, alongside for instance, one or two parts would be stood down and allowed ashore if alongside.

John Milner

John

Many thanks for your help and information. It is greatly appreciated.

SN

stephen

Its a long shot,but yhy dont you give the Admiralty records a ring.If you get a sympathetic person its sussrising what information they can come up with.If you get the feel that therte is something there it will cost you twenty pounds,or it might be twenty five pounds.Mind you it dont always work.My dad was a RMFVR and I sent for his records and all that I found out ,that I did not know already,was that he had boil scars on his bum.So sometimes you pays your money or makes your choice.

hoping this rambling might be of some use.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

John

Thanks for the tip. I'm collating as much information as I can on the three men and then I'll see what records there are.

Regards

Stephen

It has just dawned on me that the S247a is shown as having been established in 1933. As this is a revision of it, it seems probable that this particular form dates from World War Two time.