Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stanningley - looking for a Methodist Roll of Honour

jay dubaya

I’d welcome any information on the Richardshaw Lane Primitive Methodist Sunday School Roll of Honour. I believe there is a stone tablet carved with the names, I’ve searched and search for an image of this but to no avail and presume there any s also a paper roll. Any help and pointers will be greatly appreciated.

cheers, J

I like these ones Jay ......... but at this point can shed no physical evidence on an actual memorial at this point.

By way of building the picture an 1918 article in the 'Christian Messenger' by Rev. J. Burkitt mentions the erection of two tablets commemorating civilian ministerial service in the Pudsey/Stanningley Circuit and further mentions "about one hundred and sixty men have gone into military service. Several have made the supreme sacrifice, and one has won the D.C.M."  This indeed suggests there may well be a Memorial although I suspect this type of Memorial would likely have appeared in the 1919-1920 period. 

I read Richardshaw Lane Primitive Methodist as being in Stanningley and further read it is now demolished. If there was a Memorial it has likely drifted and an obvious home would likely be Pudsey. The IWM Register records a Memorial Window at Pudsey's Robin Lane Primitive Methodist (detail Yorkshire Post 06 Feb 1920) which still stands.  

Two sites.  I take it we are looking for a Stanningley (Richardshaw Lane) memorial in addition to the Pudsey (Robin Lane) memorial window?

I see the Pudsey Parish Memorial site mentions  "Richardshaw Lane Primitive Methodist Sunday School ROH" in relation to 18617 Spr. Dawson Allott RE.  ROH are usually framed parchment/paper records ...... maybe these folks can shed some light on the ROH?

Edited by TullochArd

Thanks for the reply TullochArd, My mistake, I believe the stone tablet would have been originally homed in Stanningley, I’d taken the reference for the Sunday School and some names from the Pudsey Cenotaph website.

No drama Jay.  There is also a Stanningley Eleven Lane Ends Primitive Methodist Church which appears to be still active.  Sounds promising for a follow up.

A wider link to that possible Stanningley local memorial might be through 21506 Pte John Smith Coggins 5RNF (KIA 1915) who was baptised there.

Good Luck!

Edited by TullochArd

• kenf48 changed the title to Stanningley - looking for a Methodist Roll of Honour
On 31/03/2023 at 17:28, jay dubaya said:

Bumping back into view…

Stanningley and Pudey are pretty much interchangable these days so may be worth contacting Pudsey Cenotaph Group

http://www.pudseycenotaph.co.uk/pudsey-a-community-at-war1.html

You could also try the West Yorkshire Archive Service who appear to have some records relating to the Prim Meth Church on Richardshaw lane

https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=LC01519%2f14&pos=15

Thanks for that. I’ve already contacted the Pudsey Cenotaph site and still waiting for a reply. I will contact the archives too

1 hour ago, jay dubaya said:

Thanks for that. I’ve already contacted the Pudsey Cenotaph site and still waiting for a reply. I will contact the archives too

Good luck with your search. Apparently the chapel burned down in 1966

http://www.calverley.info/eben.htm

Thanks once again, that’s really interesting: I was aware that the place had been demolished but not of the fire.