Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Italian Medal: Silver Medal of Valour - help requested?

MRNZ

I was recently sent the four WW1 Italian medals pictured below with a request to have them returned to family!  The medal on the left being the Silver Medal for Military Valour is the only one that is named to one:  CAMILLO MENNI

I have absolutely no knowledge of Italian (non-facist) medals, first or second world war and so are at a loss as to how to begin tracing this soldier.  The medals were 'purloined' by a WW2 Kiwi soldier who was engaged in the advance to and subsequent Battle of Monte Cassino.  Now long since deceased.

In attempting to tackle the basics of finding out who this Italian soldier was, Ancestry produced very little. I struggled with Family Search which again produced lots of variations of the MENNI name but nothing of use that I could find.  I did locate a list of WW1 soldiers named MENNI who had been killed/died in WW1 - just five of them and not a "Camillo Menni" among them, so presumably he survived.   I have a suspicion that post war emigration was a distinct possibility as there are a number of Menni's families in the USA.

Approaches to Italian Consulates and the embassy in Brisbane have been fraught with interpretation difficulties and produced nothing of substance to date.

If anyone has experience in researching the owners of Italian gallantry medals I would be most grateful for any suggestions and guidance to get me started on this sticky one.

Kind regards, Ian

Camillo MENNI - Italy-1.jpg