Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Cross Winner buried in St Asaph.

Laird of Camster

Would be very grateful, for any assistance in researching Captain William Geoffrey Billington of the King’s Liverpool Regiment. In particular the circumstances of his MC. 

But any general service history, would also be greatly appreciated. 

33D70654-2F00-4839-8665-615FB635C521.jpeg

His war service from 2Lt to Capt can be tracked on the London Gazette by appointment. His MIC (BWM/BVM) does not mention an MC and I failed to find any obvious LG MC entry 1916-1920. In Feb 18 he is still being published in the LG without the MC post-nominals indicating any MC came after this date.

Edited by TullochArd

5 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

His war service from 2Lt to Capt can be tracked on the London Gazette by appointment. His MIC (BWM/BVM) does not mention an MC and I failed to find any obvious LG MC entry 1916-1920. In Feb 18 he is still being published in the LG without the MC post-nominals.

That is very interesting, thank you very much for your assistance.

Certainly is a puzzle this one!!

I wonder whether perhaps his MC was for WW2, given that he was only 54 when he died in 1948? 

3 minutes ago, Laird of Camster said:

I wonder whether perhaps his MC was for WW2, given that he was only 54 when he died in 1948? 

Sounds feasible.  Followed that up in LG 1919-1946 and got nothing obvious.  That said, I have yet to find an LG entry for his relinquishing his commission which would have recorded a Great War MC loud and clear.

6 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

Sounds feasible.  Followed that up in LG 1919-1946 and got nothing obvious.  That said, I have yet to find an LG entry for his relinquishing his commission which would have recorded a Great War MC loud and clear.

Thanks again, certainly is most bizarre! 

The evidence actually shows no M.C well beyond Feb 1918 and up to 1927 at least.  On the same page of the Medal Roll you attach we see Wm. Billington's campaign medal application of 1927 with two other officers (Sharples 1927 and Dickson 1928) with their M.C. clearly annotated as post nominals.  This indicates the Wm. Billington was not awarded an M.C. in the Great War or at any point up 1927. 

A WW2 M.C. would be also published in the LG and I have not found any such entry.

Other observation: The initial LG entry shows he was commissioned into 16 KLR in Aug 15.

Edited by TullochArd

8 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

The evidence actually shows no M.C well beyond Feb 1918 and up to 1927 at least.  On the same page of the Medal Roll you attach we see Wm. Billington's campaign medal application of 1927 with two other officers (Sharples 1927 and Dickson 1928) with their M.C. clearly annotated as post nominals.  This indicates the Wm. Billington was not awarded an M.C. in the Great War or at any point up 1927. 

A WW2 M.C. would be also published in the LG and I have not found any such entry.

I agree it’s fair to say this chap, was never awarded an MC. Although why his headstone should say such, is a mystery!

Interestingly it appears he had no family locally and all his worldly possessions, went to a brother who lived in Canada, by the looks of things. 

12 hours ago, Laird of Camster said:

I agree it’s fair to say this chap, was never awarded an MC. Although why his headstone should say such, is a mystery!

Interestingly it appears he had no family locally and all his worldly possessions, went to a brother who lived in Canada, by the looks of things. 

Dare I say it, under those circumstances (ie. no one to ‘call him out’), it would be easy to, shall we say, add a little spice to one’s own war record.

7 hours ago, caulkheader said:

Dare I say it, under those circumstances (ie. no one to ‘call him out’), it would be easy to, shall we say, add a little spice to one’s own war record.

Yes, that's certainly a possibility caulkheader. However another theory, based on the possibility that he may not have actually proof read his own headstone, is that it is simply an error by those fulfilling that particular task?  Certainly, if my family is anything to go by, tales often drift from reality in the telling and re-telling.  That may also be the case?

Edited by TullochArd

I recall once seeing a gravestone that had caused similar confusion because the interred man had later in life been a "Master of Ceremonies" and it had been considered important enough to be recorded there. So worth considering that the MC may not necessarily be in error but referencing something else.