Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Relief of Tientsin

aim

Royal Marine Bandsman 277 William Wells was in possession of the Third China War Medal 1900 with clasps "Taku Forts" and "Relief of Seinten" or Tientsin. [He kept going until 1917, so this still counts for the Great War Forum]. I can't see the Tientsin clasp in the Medal Yearbook 2016. Is it a German one, and if so was he allowed to put it on a British Medal?

aim

12 minutes ago, aim said:

"Relief of Seinten" or Tientsin.

Are you sure that is not "Relief of Pekin", one of the three clasps available?

Cheers,
Peter

It would be Relief of Pekin.  He might have been a member of Adm Seymour's relief column.  Check ADM 171 - China medal roll for RN/ RMLI.

OK, I shall have to go up to TNA to check this one. Strange - you would think he would know what his clasp said, or where he'd been. or even have to show his medal to the Marines when he signed on to prove he'd got it.

Thank you both for your replies,

aim.

He would have had a copy of his service record & that would indicate what campaign medal(s) he would have earned.

I'm sure you're aware but he didn't join the Royal Marines until the 18th January 1904. His 15 years and 76 days previously served in the Royal Navy were noted. He served until the 24th November 1908. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7797604

With the Royal Navy he was 129198. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6658213

Cheers,
Peter

His RN record would be in ADM 188 series. & would indicate which ship he served on during the China 1900 campaign.