Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Turner, Royal Artillery

Mike1942

Good afternoon , I would like to add that I recently came across entries from members about RFA cap badges on which the gun wheel rotated . These were not official army issue.When I was a little lad in the 1940s my father gave me one of these and I used to play out with it fixed onto my cap by my mother . 
my father, Frank Turner, who was born in September 1895 , volunteered for the Accrington and Burnley Howitzers and became gunner L79, on February 2nd 1915. His detail can be found with those of the other volunteers,listed alphabetically, on the website for Accrington and Burnley Howitzers.

photo taken when he joined image.jpg.4e5866ca854e9b6bb5a4b08c0e0fe18a.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum, I have split this into a separate thread. 

I have 2 cap badges that belonged to my GGfather.  One is solid wheel which was the 1902 sealed pattern and one has the moving wheel type which were 'canteen' badges and privately bought.   he enlisted in 1915 so did not bring one of the unpierced (solid centre where previously voided) 1916 issue badges nor the 1917 pattern badge with the wire strengthener behind the crown.  I don't know when/if the 1917 pattern badge was replaced before WW2 when the grenade collar badge replaced the gun cap badge for the majority (but not all) of RA units.

Edited by max7474