Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a Royal Artillery Cap Badge?

Edjg86

Hello! 

I'd love someone's help to identify this cap badge. I'm trying to find more information on my Great-Granduncle and I don't have much to go on! Thank you in advance, I really appreciate any help!

image.jpeg.34eaf6952319429aeb06cb984d5ebb32.jpeg

• RussT changed the title to Is this a Royal Artillery Cap Badge?
  • Admin

I would agree, definitely Royal Artillery. If you can give a name and some genealogical information, I’m sure the experts can help you. 

Afternoon Michelle, thanks so much for your thoughts.

I don't know too much so here goes! He was born John Gay in London Battersea. A school report says he was born 03/1890. I believe he could have gone with Jack instead of John (not a great surprise!). I ran his name through the Online National Archives and found a few instances of 'John Gay' but hard to know which, if any is him. There aren't any returns for Jack Gay, so that's something, right?! I have uploaded the non-cropped version of the photograph in the hope something he is wearing may help.

Many thanks for any help anyone is able to provide. It's very much appreciated. 

P.S. I've made a small donation to the forum. It's so lovely to read the other threads where you guys have helped someone out. Keep up the amazing work!

5a623b28-1d06-47c3-8652-01bcb0b1c14d.jpg

• Admin

Thank you for the donation.  I can’t add much, but the young lady appears to be wearing an Artillery sweetheart brooch. He has one stripe which shows the appointment of Lance Corporal. 

M’learned friend Michelle has made a common (but rare for her) error with regards to his rank, which is either Bombardier (if substantive) or Acting Bombardier (if not substantive).  Along with the two other technical corps, the Royal Engineers and the Army Ordnance Corps, the Royal Artillery had an extra NCO step compared with the Cavalry, Infantry and Army Service Corps.  Whereas these latter corps used Lance Corporal as a usually unpaid step with one stripe, the technical corps had their step with one stripe paid and a permanent part of their structure.  In addition they occasionally had unpaid men on probation who were Acting in that rank and also wearing one stripe.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Half an eye on the forum, half an eye on the rugby…….off to concentrate on  the rugby! 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Thank you for the donation.  I can’t add much, but the young lady appears to be wearing an Artillery sweetheart brooch. He has one stripe which shows the appointment of Lance Corporal. 

While agreeing with Frogsmile anent rank, I'd only add that its a nice clear picture of his trousers [not breeches] showing the reinforcement strip between the legs for riding

4 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Half an eye on the forum, half an eye on the rugby…….off to concern the rugby! 

😉👍

Hello everyone - thanks for all your comments!

1 hour ago, 6RRF said:

While agreeing with Frogsmile anent rank, I'd only add that its a nice clear picture of his trousers [not breeches] showing the reinforcement strip between the legs for riding

Could this mean he was in the Garrison Artillery, not the Field Artillery? Found the following on https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/

"The uniform of Garrison Artillery was the same as Field Artillery except that they were more likely to wear trousers instead of boots and breeches. On their shoulder straps were the initials of the name of their Division and the number of their company."

I used the Forces War Records search engine and found a John Gay within the Royal Garrison Artillery, his rank as a 'Gunner' in 1914 then 'Lance Bombardier' in 1918 and 1919.

May I ask for your thoughts? Thank you!

• Admin

There’s 3 Medal Index Cards for John Gay in the Artillery, two have the middle initial H. 

8 minutes ago, Edjg86 said:

Hello everyone - thanks for all your comments!

Could this mean he was in the Garrison Artillery, not the Field Artillery? Found the following on https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/

I used the Forces War Records search engine and found a John Gay within the Royal Garrison Artillery, his rank as a 'Gunner' in 1914 then 'Lance Bombardier' in 1918 and 1919.

May I ask for your thoughts? Thank you!

Officially the RGA were the dismounted branch of artillery and prewar would generally wear trousers and dress as per soldiers largely on foot.  However, the RGA guns had to be moved just like others and so some were drawn by heavy draught animals, but as the war developed steam tractors were increasingly used for the large and heavy guns.  The absence of spurs on the Bombardier would fit with him being RGA.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Half an eye on the forum, half an eye on the rugby…….off to concentrate on  the rugby! 

My maths isn't brilliant but doesn't that leave you with one whole other eye? :unsure: