Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineer medals

Nathan Dylan Goodwin

Hoping someone can help... In the attached screenshot from a Medal Rolls Index, am I correct in thinking that under the 'Roll' column, 'R.E./4B' means 4th Battalion of the Royal Engineers?
What does 'R.E./101/B51' mean?

Thank you!

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 11.18.04.png

• Admin

Those numbers relate to the actual medal rolls, I don’t think they’re anything to do with whatever company RE. If you can access the medal rolls ( imagine Ancestry of Find My Past will have them) you might find more information. 
The information in the link might help. 

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/how-to-interpret-a-campaign-medal-index-card/

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Those numbers relate to the actual medal rolls, I don’t think they’re anything to do with whatever company RE. If you can access the medal rolls ( imagine Ancestry of Find My Past will have them) you might find more information. 
The information in the link might help. 

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/how-to-interpret-a-campaign-medal-index-card/

Thank you very much!

3 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

If you can access the medal rolls ( imagine Ancestry of Find My Past will have them) you might find more information. 

The page of the 1914/15 Star Medal Rolls that includes Dengate doesn't give any additional information.

Likewise with the page of the BWM and VM Medal Rolls that includes Dengate but in the top left corner of the page is typed 'W.W' -- anyone have any idea what 'W.W.' could mean? (image courtesy of Ancestry)

Dengate.jpg

W.W. knowing little could it be Water Works? 

may be worth checking others on the roll

Rochester and Hobkinson were pioneers on the star roll , so???

edit

the RE had a Western Wireless branch.

Edited by chaz

Looking at the 14/15 Star roll for others with the same landing date, 18/10/15, the first three I've found with a surviving record that gives unit all seem to have belonged to Tunneling Companies. 

LLT shows several such companies were created at Rouen in Oct 1915.

Is this a line worth pursuing?

There is only one Hugh Dengate in the RE, I think.

He gets several mentions in the Kent local papers incl being wounded July 1918 in the hand. (There's a photo of him).

But I've not seen mention of type of unit, just Sapper, RE.

More than coincidence is Sapper William Dengate 95173 who also landed 18/10/15 and was 253 Tunnelling Company in Sep 1917.

Was he brother?

Edited by charlie962

Thanks everyone for your input - much appreciated.

17 hours ago, charlie962 said:

More than coincidence is Sapper William Dengate 95173 who also landed 18/10/15 and was 253 Tunnelling Company in Sep 1917.

Was he brother?

I think it was his brother, yes.