Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you ID this cap badge?

the_ageing_young_rebel

• Admin

Would you be re-capped badged though if you were attached to a different Regiment/Corps?

Or perhaps you are saying he is RA attached to some other unit.

Russ

35 minutes ago, PhilB said:

The cut of his trousers around the knees might support that?

While conversely, although cutting a dash with the hanky up his sleeve etc, he has that belt, and he doesn't have spurs or a bandolier

Courage mon brav

It just adds to the "mystery" and perhaps ultimately might add up to a unique service history that might identify him

2 hours ago, 6RRF said:

As already mentioned he has his hanky up his sleeve and what looks like a waterproof cover on his hat. He also has a scarf around his neck.

Instead of waggling flags, is he attached to to R.H. with a motorbike ? 

I very much doubt it.  At that time motorcycle dispatch riders were firmly in the bailiwick of the Signal Service - Royal Engineers, and the Army Service Corps.

2 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Any suggestions as to what that is between the Smith and the R?

It looks like “Off” to me, but I’ve no idea if that’s correct, or what it’s contextual meaning might be.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

I very much doubt it.  At that time motorcycle dispatch riders were firmly in the bailiwick of the Signal Service - Royal Engineers, and the Army Service Corps.

Perfectly true, but here we have a young man at home in Scotland - perhaps Barry Buddon Camp - displaying a number of anomalies 

13 minutes ago, 6RRF said:

Perfectly true, but here we have a young man at home in Scotland - perhaps Barry Buddon Camp - displaying a number of anomalies 

Yes indeed, but being a motorcycle dispatch rider is unlikely to be one of them.  He would have to be provided with a motorcycle, from a relevantly equipped unit, and we have to be careful, I would suggest, not to stray into the realms of the fanciful and situate the appreciation, as opposed to appreciate the situation.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, PhilB said:

The neckwear is unusual - any comment, Frog?

The SD jacket was specifically designed to be layered Phil and it was in theory commonly accepted that a neck scarf might be a part of that in inclement weather in the field (officers too and there are several photos of this during the Boer War).  However, walking out of barracks is a different matter and other than when men are wounded and with bandages around their necks I’ve seldom seen neck covering or scarves worn.  After all the intent was to look smart and carry a swagger stick, etc.  In this case he’s dressed warmly and certainly it wasn’t illegal to wear a scarf in inclement weather.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Jacket certainly looks as if he is wearing something substantial underneath it.

Is anyone able to decipher the inscription on the front of the picture 

3 hours ago, 6RRF said:

Is anyone able to decipher the inscription on the front of the picture 

Similar to what’s on the rear:  Yours Sincerely Sig Teddy Smith.

5 hours ago, squirrel said:

Jacket certainly looks as if he is wearing something substantial underneath it.

I’d hazard he’s wearing a roll neck sweater, the roll of which we can see above the collar of his SD and is being taken for a scarf. 

Cheers, 

GT  

33 minutes ago, Grovetown said:

I’d hazard he’s wearing a roll neck sweater, the roll of which we can see above the collar of his SD and is being taken for a scarf. 

Cheers, 

GT  

It’s not impossible of course, but in this case I don’t think so.  I can see what appears a gap or overlap at the front centre as would appear with a scarf, plus several folds.  Also the scene doesn’t appear to be in theatre, and whereas he could easily remove a scarf if upbraided by an NCO to change/smarten his appearance, he could not do so with a roll necked jumper.   

He has previous active service and the photo is taken in Scotland so he could well be on leave and free from NCO appraisal!

53 minutes ago, PhilB said:

He has previous active service and the photo is taken in Scotland so he could well be on leave and free from NCO appraisal!

Yes, although Britain became an armed camp during the course of the war with people in uniform everywhere, both regulars, and auxiliaries, military police at railway terminals, and officers and NCOs all around with the ingrained moral responsibility for maintaining military standards.  That said, in a quiet village off the beaten track I’m sure that there would’ve been at least a small degree of relaxation, but quite how much and how it would have manifested itself is debatable.

Edited by FROGSMILE

While we obviously can't rule out "a quiet village off the beaten track" a photographer based in Dundee with a branch in Montrose suggests that our young man attached to some other unit is more likely to be at Barry Buddon

Another thought! In “the old days” it was common to wrap the throat in something warm to help cure a sore throat, stiff neck or cold. It’s still thought to be helpful by some.

Keeping the throat warm can also reduce soreness, as heat relaxes muscles and can soothe pain. Gently wrap a scarf around the neck to keep it warm. (Medical News Today)

Edited by PhilB

I think I'm at an impasse now. I've gone through service records and medal cards trying to find somebody that fits the bill, but I've been unable to narrow it down at all really. Its probably always the case with the Smith surname.

Thanks for all the amazing clue finding to everybody though. You're knowledge and attention to detail never fails to impress me.