Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Bn Royal West Kents, 123 Bde, 41st Div

benjamin thyla

Hi all,

Is there anyone of you willing to provide me with a trench map of Le Bizet (Belgium) with the following coordinates? It is where the 10th Bn of Royal West Kents relieved the SAS, 29th May 1916. 

1) 36NW (1/40.000) c.4.a.4.7 up to c.4.c.9.7 1/2 and Despierre Farm. I know where Despierre Farm is (east of Calvaire), but does it coincide with the coordinates c.3.0.7 1/2.7 If not, with what does that coord match?

2) the "Subsidiary Line" is recorded to run from the Lys River c.8.b.3.8 (I suppose 36NW 1/40 or 1/10) up to Calvaire "Work" (what is the difference with Calvaire?).

3) would there be a trench map (other than McMasters that uses another numbering system, including alphabetical letters) of Le Bizet with a "simple" numbering system, i.e., mentioning "gap between trench 93-96", or "positioning of two Vickers guns at trench 102"?

Much obliged,

Benjamin Thyla

Despierre.jpg

3 hours ago, benjamin thyla said:

Hi all,

Is there anyone of you willing to provide me with a trench map of Le Bizet (Belgium) with the following coordinates? It is where the 10th Bn of Royal West Kents relieved the SAS, 29th May 1916. 

1) 36NW (1/40.000) c.4.a.4.7 up to c.4.c.9.7 1/2 and Despierre Farm. I know where Despierre Farm is (east of Calvaire), but does it coincide with the coordinates c.3.0.7 1/2.7 If not, with what does that coord match?

2) the "Subsidiary Line" is recorded to run from the Lys River c.8.b.3.8 (I suppose 36NW 1/40 or 1/10) up to Calvaire "Work" (what is the difference with Calvaire?).

3) would there be a trench map (other than McMasters that uses another numbering system, including alphabetical letters) of Le Bizet with a "simple" numbering system, i.e., mentioning "gap between trench 93-96", or "positioning of two Vickers guns at trench 102"?

Much obliged,

Benjamin Thyla

Despierre.jpg

Your first place to look for any map should be TrenchMapper. There are dozens of trench maps that cover that area plus all the Official History and strategic maps- ready georeferenced.

You can put the map references into the Great War to Modern Map box- it will have to include the sheet number like 36.c.4.a.4.7, add markers for points of interest etc.

Then you can measure distance and bearing and use all the other tools.

Howard

Hi all, 

Thanks a lot for the replies!

1) I have no access to WFA trench mapper as I am not a paying member, hence I cannot enter coordinates

2) I have the maps of the 10th RWK too, they are in their war diary WO-95-2638-1_1.

3) yes, I am aware that Calvaire = Essex Farm cemetery. But what is the difference with Calvaire "Works", or what would "Works" mean?

About Calvaire I would like to add that "the real" (historical) Calvaire is between the two Rabecque Farms, le Calvaire de la Drève des Rabecques. I don't know why the English called a place Calvaire, adjacent (east) to Gunners Farm, while there was already "a Calvaire". To me, it is confusing "when Germans started to whizz-bang Calvaire". For good understanding, the Rabecque is a small river, splitting from the Nieppe, running across the R Farms, all the way east to a windmill (R Windmill) that disappeared way before 1850, and ends into the Lys. Zoomed in, the small river's name is Ra, since "becque" = beek = Flemish for small river. All farm names ending with "becque" simply mean that they are situated along a "beek".       

I was hoping that someone could show the coordinates 36NW (1/40.000) c.4.a.4.7 up to c.4.c.9.7 1/2 on the map.  

Sincerely

Benjamin Thyla

53 minutes ago, benjamin thyla said:

1) I have no access to WFA trench mapper as I am not a paying member, hence I cannot enter coordinates

The only limitations of being a non-member are 1. Limited zoom and 2. no free downloads.

Everything else works exactly the same and is free.

Howard

Thanks a lot gentlemen!

Howard, you were right (obviously), I am a bit ashamed to mention that I forgot to prefix the map with 36... 

In other words: it works!

Thanks!

Benjamin

WFA_coord_Re2.jpg

4 hours ago, benjamin thyla said:

I was hoping that someone could show the coordinates 36NW (1/40.000) c.4.a.4.7 up to c.4.c.9.7 1/2 on the map.  

In the Help pages of TrenchMapper is an article on how to read British map references.

Help->Knowldge Centre->How to Read a Trench Map.

That may help for maps not ready georeferenced.

Howard

Hi Howard,

Indeed, splendid tool, thanks for the education. 

All of you, thanks for the maps, some I did not have yet. 

Benjamin