Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William ALEXANDER, 173155, Machine Gun Corps

Matlock1418

William ALEXANDER,  173155, Machine Gun Corps

Whilst browsing amongst the pension cards at WFA/Fold3 I came across this chap [on two other cards too] - but not commemorated by CWGC = ???

image.png.ce9a69de713755442bfa54dd92e9f5f3.png

His also-mentioned brother George Meldrum ALEXANDER, 37359, MGC, is commemorated https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/852020/george-meldrum-alexander [Scottish National War Memorial also have George as formerly 3209, Gordon Highlanders]

Their mother Helen Meldrum appears mentioned on this ALEXANDER grave headstone in Drumblade https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/199475827/helen-alexander, as does George Meldrum, but not William = ???

William's birth on ScotlandsPeople appears to be:

Surname       Forename   Mothers Maiden Name Gender  Year    Ref             RD Name

ALEXANDER, WILLIAM    MELDRUM,                   M,       1899,   188 / 19,   DRUMBLADE

I'm currently struggling to find anything more for William = ???

Perhaps members can assist me please.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Can only find the three pension cards and the page Charlie posted above. Says he was transferred to Training Reserve 29/8/1918, service number TR/5/140899. No date or cause of death, perhaps he didn't die, at least not within the qualifying period?

This looks like it might be the 1921 Census for his parents:

Capture.PNG.af37d9bc3e6625735b32cb8249d32558.PNG

19 hours ago, charlie962 said:

A snippet from findmypast indexing those odd bits of paper. 

Thank Charlie

9 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

Can only find the three pension cards and the page Charlie posted above. Says he was transferred to Training Reserve 29/8/1918, service number TR/5/140899. No date or cause of death, perhaps he didn't die, at least not within the qualifying period?

Thanks for transcribing that TR number.

As for his death it's a puzzle as I've not [yet?] found a death registration.

That said, one of the pension claim cards [his 'solo' card] has a printer's mark of 7/24 so could perhaps reflect such an out of period death sometime before or thereafter.

???

M