Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Greek-flagged, single-masted, sailing vessel

michaeldr

Has anyone come across a reference to a Greek-flagged, single-masted, sailing vessel, which was stopped by an allied ship in Gallipoli waters, and then arrested and taken in tow, after it was confirmed that it was in fact an Ottoman transport sailing under a false-flag?
If anyone has such details then I shall be pleased to hear from them

Michael

3 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Has anyone come across a reference to a Greek-flagged, single-masted, sailing vessel, which was stopped by an allied ship in Gallipoli waters, and then arrested and taken in tow, after it was confirmed that it was in fact an Ottoman transport sailing under a false-flag?
If anyone has such details then I shall be pleased to hear from them

Michael

Hi Michael. I'm sure you would have seen this, but if not, the AWM have a photograph of the vessel at https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/G00228

One has to wonder what an Ottoman vessel was doing outside the heads of the Dardenelles?

There were Greek vessels sailing along the coast around Izmir to aid there people under Ottoman preasure, who would or may have been registered by the Ottomans

From say Lesbos, Chios or the many islands and even Rhodes

Of cause Greek commerce to the many Islands off Gallipoli, even now under British ownership, would have continued

S.B

Hi Gunner, 
many thanks for that most helpful link

“Accession number: G00228
Maker: Brooks, Ernest
Place made: Ottoman Empire, Turkey, Dardanelles, Gallipoli, Cape Helles Area, Sedd-el-Bahr
Date made: c April 1915
Description: A Greek vessel which fell under suspicion and was brought by a British trawler into Sedd-el-Bahr on the southern tip of Gallipoli Peninsula for examination.”

That is indeed the very sailing vessel I am enquiring about.
A friend of mine has just bought a small group of photographs, and the theme of the set appears to be the navy at the Dardanelles/Gallipoli.
The one which shows the Greek sailing vessel is however quite different from that taken by Brooks. 

1] The background at first suggested to me that it was taken in August (not April 1915) as it shows Suvla Point and the ridge of Kiretch Tepe Sirt on the skyline (quite some way from Sedd-el-Bahr)
2] the text refers to the vessel's capture by a destroyer (not a trawler
3] and indeed the craft is shown underway and being  towed along at a fair rate of knots. There's quite a wake and the skiff she herself tows is fairly skimming the crests of the waves.

I wonder if anyone has come across a written account of this vessel's arrest?

regards, Michael