Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Pottery

Rob HAmilton

image.png.8b62775e87f92d72a26b5cfbc673086b.png

A friend of mine recently bought this piece of pottery. He has found out that  it was manufactured by Grafton in Stoke on Trent as model 428 sometime in the first quarter of the 20th century and retailed in Bath but can find nothing about Pam's Brethren or the figures connection to pacifism. Has anybody seen any thing like this or can throw any light on the subject.

Many thanks

Rob Hamilton

I don't know what the organisation is, but the item seems to be rather scarce - there's one for sale on e-Bay with a latest bid of £93.00. 

21 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

I don't know what the organisation is, but the item seems to be rather scarce - there's one for sale on e-Bay with a latest bid of £93.00. 

I think that there was one on ebay that sold for £93:00, that is now featured here!  The picture above is one that appeared in the listing. 🤗

Edited by GWF1967

It sounds like my friend bought the one for sale on Ebay. He’s a porcelain collector and also has an interest in WW1. It doesn’t look like anyone knows anything about it, another mystery. 

Regards

Rob

On 10/03/2023 at 11:11, Kath said:

I think it's Paws - telling Pacifists to "Pause".

Yes I think you’re right Kath, it seems to be a pun portraying a submissive posture of surrender with hands (paws) up and an expression of worried capitulation on the figure’s face.  A typical Daily Mail style piece ridiculing the efforts of pacifists at that time such as the Plymouth Brethren (active supporters of Conscientious Objection - many of them ended up in the non-combatant-corps).

See also:

1.http://brethrenhistory.org/qwicsitePro2/php/docsview.php?docid=410

2.https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/274288-the-plymouth-brethren/

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 10/03/2023 at 07:37, GWF1967 said:

I think that there was one on ebay that sold for £93:00, that is now featured here!  The picture above is one that appeared in the listing. 🤗

On 10/03/2023 at 10:14, Rob HAmilton said:

It sounds like my friend bought the one for sale on Ebay. He’s a porcelain collector and also has an interest in WW1. It doesn’t look like anyone knows anything about it, another mystery. 

Regards

Rob

Thanks, both ... the way I read it was that it was still for sale, but that was my mistake as it's obviously been sold!