Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'With a Highland Regiment in Mesopotamia by an Officer of the Battalion'

TullochArd

This is a small, rather curious book.  It is written by "an Officer of the Battalion" around 1917-18 and charts 2 BW involvement in the Relief of Kut 1916-1917.  It carries the author's caveat that it is written that the "........ children of the regiment may know the brave deeds and the hardships cheerfully borne ......." and as such, quite understandably, proves a simple account.  That said, I was enthralled by the touristic descriptions, photos and observations of Mesopotamia and the accounts of routine daily life in the Battalion.  This is where the book adds real substance.  Do not expect any revelations regarding the campaign as this was never the intention of the author.  All said, I enjoyed it.

The "Officer of the Battalion" remains anonymous but he does describe himself being referred by a senior officer to as "H" at one point.  By period convention that may suggest his surname and a nominal roll at the back tantalisingly offers several possibilities.  I must add that the book also includes annex detail regarding named OR casualties as well as (the inevitable) officer bios.  

I bought a hard copy but you can read it (public domain) at: With a Highland regiment in Mesopotamia, 1916-1917 : Blampied, H. J : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Edited by TullochArd

The Internet Archive link above suggests his name is Blampied, H J and the title page has a handwritten note Capt H J Blampied.

Maureen

Captain H. John  Blampied it is ........ and I clearly lose my GWF site search proficiency badge as I totally missed that prior post. 

Thank you both charlie962 and MaureenE.