Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Were there any Regimental Aid Posts used during the First Battle of Ypres, 1914?

David_Blanchard

I have been investigating the casualty evacuation chain at Ypres, 1914- particulaly from the Zillebeke sector. Having looked at most of the war diaries medical units (ADMS, Field Ambulances etc from I and IV Corps) I can find no reference to battalions setting up RAPs- only Collecting Posts which I take to be somewhat different, normally used by Cavalry FAs over a wide area, to gather wounded quickly (little if any medical treatment given) and rapidly sent back to a ADS.

I wonder if this is this is because First Ypres was a relatively mobile battle with poorly constructed trenches and no suitable place to be found for RAPs?

@TEW may be interested and know about this?

David 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 08/03/2023 at 13:54, David_Blanchard said:

I have been investigating the casualty evacuation chain at Ypres, 1914- particulaly from the Zillebeke sector. Having looked at most of the war diaries medical units (ADMS, Field Ambulances etc from I and IV Corps) I can find no reference to battalions setting up RAPs- only Collecting Posts which I take to be somewhat different, normally used by Cavalry FAs over a wide area, to gather wounded quickly (little if any medical treatment given) and rapidly sent back to a ADS.

I wonder if this is this is because First Ypres was a relatively mobile battle with poorly constructed trenches and no suitable place to be found for RAPs?

@TEW may be interested and know about this?

David 

Hi David,

after much searching I have found nothing in 20 plus WDs. The nearest to a RAP is from this WD, Link here;https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352438 October 30th end of page 46 start of page 47. There are sketch maps and numbered places marked on them. You will have to do some reading to find them but they are there and it gives you a good idea of where and who.

Best Wishes, Bob.

image.png.19d29c73e3f03e9a41bab4b3cd817d69.png