Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mobilization date of VAD/Nursing Staff

monkstown

A 2nd Western General Hospital, Manchester booklet gives date of mobilization of VAD as 25th August 1915. What does this mean in practice - that the VAD travelled from Dublin to Manchester that day with others or that she commenced work on that date?

Thank you

Thanks Alf - yes the Red Cross card gives 25th Aug too but I wondered if the term 'mobilization' actually suggested travelling with a group?

As I understand it VAD detachments were mobilised for specific purposes - but not individuals (i.e. VAD members were civilians and weren’t under any compulsion to serve).

Nevertheless, at the outbreak of the First World War, large numbers of existing VAD members did offer their services willingly and enthusiastically in support of medical relief work (largely confined to the home front in 1914). Many gave their time as circumstances permitted. Some were mothers with young children who could only offer a few hours VAD work a week locally (packing bandages or bed linen and such like), others were single women of independent means who could go anywhere and work in whatever capacity was required of them on a full-time basis, yet others were men juggling VAD ambulance work alongside their day jobs.

MB

Thank you - so 'mobilized' in this case probably just means 'commenced work'.