Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shipwright has me beat

Archer

I don't understand the progression in substantive ratings in a gentleman's service sheet:

Shipwright II - 1916-1918

Shipwright 4 - 1918-1919

Shipwright 3 - 1919

I thought the Shipwright ratings were re-organised in 1920, but it looks as though this happened during the war?

Anyone?

:cheers:

William

Untitled.JPG

Edited by Archer
typo

That check mark with the circle left side of Shpt 4, 1 Oct '18, there should be a note concerning this in the Remarks column (again with this check mark & circle) on the right of his ADM 188 sheet.

It may indicate the reason his rate level was reduced from Shpt II to 4.

Thanks @RNCVR. I should have perhaps added that detail :lol:

As you can see, his ability was consistently rated "Superior," and he was not dis-rated

Untitled.JPG

William, I thought the change over from the old to the new system for Artisan ratings happened a little earlier than 1920 (perhaps there was a period of transition?). In any case, looks to me that your man was previously a Shipwright Second-Class (ShipW II) who became a ShipW 4) under the new system. However I don’t have the references readily to hand (will post again if/when I find them).

MB

Thank you. Please do get back to me if you can. I am thrown by this one :lol:

The tick/circle mark says that he was (re)rated under AWO 3304/18 (Admiralty Weekly Order 3303, 1918), and whereas I’ve been unable to locate said reference for the RN, the Australians then adopted a duplicate new system of pay for Shipwrights and other Artisans, and its stated in Commonwealth Navy Orders, 12 Jan 1919 (referencing  AWO 3304) that Shipwrights pay is to be bracketed with that of ERA’s (so the switch-over from old to new system for Artisan rates in the RN would appear to have been made sometime in late 1918).

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

Wow @KizmeRD. Thank you! A comprehensive piece of research, and very helpful.

Forum power!

William