Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension Index Card Abbreviations:

1 IG

image.png.a58d3a36500a60eb8f7c12062871c867.png

Can anyone tell me what the abbreviation Art.21.(1)c Refusal means, I have read a letter written by John's father regarding an Army Dependant's Pension, the assumption from the wording was that he was applying as the Claimant, it appears that the application was refused, but I would like to know if the abbreviation shown refers to the grounds for refusal, I look forward to any comments, thanks in anticipation

Michael

7 hours ago, 1 IG said:

image.png.a58d3a36500a60eb8f7c12062871c867.png

Can anyone tell me what the abbreviation Art.21.(1)c Refusal means, I have read a letter written by John's father regarding an Army Dependant's Pension, the assumption from the wording was that he was applying as the Claimant, it appears that the application was refused, but I would like to know if the abbreviation shown refers to the grounds for refusal, I look forward to any comments, thanks in anticipation

Michael

Hello. This informative thread and comment by @Matlock1418 appears to explain what Art 21 (1) c relates to. It also has one of our members who is highly knowledgable around pensions @ss002d6252

Thank you for your response and I have shared the thread on pensions provided by Matlock1418 with the relative of the soldier, hopefully it may resolve his enquiry relating to why the pension application was refused.

Michael

On 06/03/2023 at 18:43, 1 IG said:

Art.21.(1)c Refusal means,

Article 21(1)(c) was introduced under the 1919 Royal Warrant. It appears that they were held not to qualify under this provision.

image.png

Craig

Hi Craig

Thanks for your reply, it all makes sense now. regards

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2023 at 19:12, ss002d6252 said:

image.png

On 07/03/2023 at 21:05, 1 IG said:

Thanks for your reply, it all makes sense now.

CWGC have as 29 at death https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/563343/john-thomas-tilley 

so this seems likely to be his birth

Surname  First name(s)    District  Vol  Page 

Births Dec 1886   (>99%)
Tilley  John Thomas    Wellingbro'  3b 159

That pesky "under the age of 26" does rather seem to me to have been fly in the ointment.

M