Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme visit May

vincentg

Yes, super pictures.  Makes me want to get back there soon.  Good comment about the elevations in the area.  It's only walking that gives you any appreciation at all of how difficult it must have been to have to advance/attack uphill.

Vincent, is the wide shot that is number three just before the two of the caribou on the last set part of Y Ravine at the Newfoundland Park?

Pete.

Thanks for that, it's another interesting angle.

• Admin

Would the mystery out of shot  cemetery be Ten Tree Alley? 

14 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Would the mystery out of shot  cemetery be Ten Tree Alley? 

No, it's on the other side of Beamont-Hamel. But it's a rather difficult one I think, no recognizable landmarks and it's taken along a dirtroad where not a lot of people pass through I suppose. There are actually two cemeteries close to eachother. "The cemetery, which is named from a communication trench, was begun at the outset of the Battle of the Somme in 1916."

Lovely pics, the Newfoundland site is my personal favourite I find it a great example to easily picture what that first day meant.

Regards The shell with the firing bands anyone, if it is intact and clearly fired does that indicate unitiated HE?

About the shells. Only thing i know: the whole bullet with casing is French. The first one is a british stokes mortar. Second one a 60 pounder and the last one is a 60 pounder with poison gas (according to my uncle who's familiar with WW1 ammo).

Edited by vincentg

10 hours ago, vincentg said:

No, it's on the other side of Beamont-Hamel. But it's a rather difficult one I think, no recognizable landmarks and it's taken along a dirtroad where not a lot of people pass through I suppose. There are actually two cemeteries close to eachother. "The cemetery, which is named from a communication trench, was begun at the outset of the Battle of the Somme in 1916."

Knightsbridge and Mesnil Ridge?

Richard