Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helmet and insignia identification

Latt

I recently picked up this helmet that was labelled as a Canadian Expeditionary Force helmet produced in 1916 and I was hoping to confirm what it is. Based on the details of the helmet it seems like a Mk 1 helmet made before the rubber ring was added but any additional details are appreciated. I found a marking near the rim that I’m having a hard time making out, possible 085? I am very interested in the authenticity of the insignia painted on the helmet and what it may represent.

I searched CEF and AEF insignia but have not done an exhaustive search as it’s not something I have much knowledge of. I have not had much luck with researching British insignia. It appears to be a yellow and green diamond. Any help identifying what this may represent is greatly appreciated.

65B2252C-9900-4013-B226-6540F8E87968.jpeg

C15A50D7-1071-4920-AD09-FA539CA5A933.jpeg

79FC65D2-3F59-4E11-A766-3C4580E52B76.jpeg

6B83A53B-B743-48D2-B8B7-82514BD04033.jpeg

Second  patten helmet with it having a brim cover, they were rimless when first issued Latt. No help with the markings.

Gerwyn

Thank you for the reply. After taking another look at the paint I am not sure if it’s yellow or if white paint may have aged to a yellow colour? The green shape looks like a distinctive shape but some of the detail has been lost.

On looking at the liner on yours, I'm wondering if it his a British helmet lining Patt, photo of the lining on the one I have.

Do you have a better photo of the inside of the helmet.

They now come with a health and safety warning (HSE), because of the lining material.

Regards

Gerwyn

IMG_4714.JPG

IMG_4713.JPG