Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stumped on Pension Records

Chesterboy

I’m looking at William Fraser, who maybe a relation. 

his medal index card carries the service numbers of 341 & 2587 and 290091 

I can not found any pension cards, what I’m doing wrong 

Why are you convinced that he would have received a disability pension? It was not a given that every man was injured in the course of service, with a resultant disability pension being paid, once the disability assessment had been made.

Forename William

Surname Fraser

Born Lumphanan, Aberdeenshire

Enlisted Torphins, Aberdeenshire

Service Number 290091

Rank Private

Cause of Death Died of Wounds

Place of Death France & Flanders

Date of Death 23rd June 1916

Regiment Gordon Highlanders, 7th Battalion

Record Set Soldiers Died In the Great War

Prior to 1914, if a man died whilst serving, there would be no pension payable to next of kin.

Service records were retained, so that in the event of a soldier making a subsequent claim - for instance they re-enlisted and eventually acquired the 18+ years of service for a standard army pension, the retained records provided that proof of prior service. When a soldier died in service, they would not be in the position of making a claim, and their service records were therefore thrown away at that point in time when they died.

7 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Isn't it the case that if he had no dependant relatives then there would be no pension claim?

Thats Correct

CWGC show him as aged 23  and the "Son of William and C. Fraser, of Boghead, Lumphanan, Aberdeen." https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1557674/william-fraser/

So nothing to indicate a widow and presumably no children, legitimate or illegitimate.

For a pension to be payable there had to be a financial dependancy. It appears it was presumed in the case of wifes and legitimate children - everything else had to be proved. The simplest way to prove that was if the soldier concerned was having deductions taken from their wage and paid over to the person who subsequently put in a claim for a Dependants Pension.

So no proven history of payments to William or his wife, then no grounds for a pension claim and so no pension cards - unless you definately know a pension was in payment.

Cheers,
Peter

Thank you all for your replies, I may have gone down a rabbit hole, as being in some related but I’ve somebody else to double check my workings on that.  

So is this the same man 

2587 Pte W Fraser, 1/7th Bn Gordon Highlanders.  23rd June 1916.  Son of William and Catherine Fraser of Boxhead, Lumphanan, Aberdeen.  Aubigny Communal Cemetery Extension, France.  Plot 1, Row D, Grave 18

290091 Private William Fraser, 7th Bn, Gordon Highlanders.  23rd June 1916.  Son of William and C Fraser of Boghead, Lumphanan, Aberdeen.  Arras Memorial, France.  Bay 8 & 9

Yes it is

George