Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.N.A.S. Uniforme jacket

WARS AND PEACES MINIATURES

Good morning,

I allow myself to open a new post, to ask for your help in order to be as close as possible to reality for the creation of a miniature historical figurine.

- Was the jacket model seen in the vintage photo worn under the flight jacket which was lined with fur ?

- Was the tie - which I find elegant - and that can be seen in the vintage photo, worn during airplane flights during the war ?

Thank you for your answers.

Jean-Luc FREY

France

.... for my text, it's GOOGLE translation because my english langage is very poor.

PROJET POUR UNE FIGURINE HISTORIQUE MINIATURE.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning Jean-Luc

When flying, a variety of overgarments were worn and usually in the form of coats rather than short jackets - there was no official pattern. These were for protection against the cold and often the rain. A proper uniform would still have been worn underneath, but not the two and certainly not the stiff collar, however elegant they might have appeared on the ground. A scarf would have been worn instead 

Good evening GRRF,

My sincere apologies for my late response -_-

Thank you very much for this information which allows me to learn.

I have another GRRF question.
Does this model of high boots with fur inside have a specific name ?
At the time, did the pilots give them a nickname ?

Thank you very much for your answers GRRF

Best wishes

Jean-Luc

... for my text, it's with GOOGLE translation because my english langage is very ... :D poor 

BOTTES HAUTES AVEC FOURRURE POUR AVIATEUR .jpg

Military flying was in its infancy in WW1 and so a lot of flying kit was individually devised by pilots as they went along. These thigh-length sheepskin boots appear to have been designed by the noted ace Major Lanoe Hawker and were sold by Harrods as Charfor [why I don't know] but more generally known as "Fug Boots". However in December 1916 they were officially adopted by the Army as Boots Thigh. I suspect however that the nicknames Fug Boots continued among the airmen themselves

Image of advertisement  from Illustrated London News May 11 1918 from Findmypast.

There is also a pair of boots on the IWM website https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30016195 which includes the wording 
"First World War period British aviator's boots. Officially termed, 'Boots, Thigh' this type of footwear was sealed in December 1916. Devised by Major Lanoe Hawker VC, DSO, they replaced earlier attempts at equipping flying personnel with footwear that was suitable for their special purpose. Initially Hawker had them made at Harrods, who christened them the Charfor boot, however they soon became universally known as 'fug boots'."

Maureen

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 9.48.34 am.png

Edited by MaureenE

Hello Maureen,
Thank you very much for your precise answer which allows me to learn.

The link will be really valuable Maureen.

Happy Sunday to you and your loved ones with my sincere and respectful greetings.

Jean-Luc

:poppy:Lest we forget :poppy:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello thedawnpatrol,

It really is a very, very nice collector's item! Congratulation

Thank you very much, this will be very useful for the creation of the miniature figurine which will be sculpted by Benoît CAUCHIES.

Bonne journée and Best wishes

Jean-Luc