Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery pick axe

the_ageing_young_rebel

This is a slightly long winded and strange request for help. Basically many years ago me and my family took a trip to the Somme to the particular field where an uncle died. The field had become a forest where little had been done since the war, with trenches still faintly visible in the ground and shrapnel and a shell clearly visible on the surface. On the edge of the trench which my uncle left in the attack that took his life was a pick axe. My family took it home and it remained in a shed for years. As my parents are now moving home and clearing things out, it’s been rediscovered. I was wondering if anybody could recognise it as military issued kit or post war? Thanks in advance for any help

6E6B4B8C-9D0D-4E29-A4A3-DA1524596C3F.jpeg

D963E3B5-E9E1-43F0-B86E-FDF6B7BE5675.jpeg

D111B6E8-BE2A-4D23-AEB2-C7A451432A3A.jpeg

4408009C-019E-4827-B0B1-ACA357692215.jpeg

It's definitely the remains of a General Service pickaxe of the type used in WW1, the ferrule and profile of the head are tell-tail signs, however this type of pickaxe has been in service for many years, and may in fact still be in use.

The likelihood of yours being WW1 period is quite high, as you've said, it was located within a WW1 trench system.

Dan

Thanks guys. I might clean it up, see if I can stabilise it and look for a date. I knew this was the place to come for informed answers