Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German WW1 Photos - Help Required

Shrimperchris

I've recently acquired over 200 photographs that I am told are German WW1 related. Each photo is different and contains many military subjects and the majority have writing in German on the back. Can anyone shed any light on whether they would be of interest to others and what the ones I have pictured show? 

IMG_20230304_143449.jpg

IMG_20230304_143430.jpg

IMG_20230304_143403.jpg

IMG_20230304_143341.jpg

IMG_20230304_143324.jpg

IMG_20230304_143305.jpg

IMG_20230304_143232.jpg

IMG_20230304_143213.jpg

Wow they are great. We just need a resident German/Swedish speaker to decipher the handwriting and translate and they may point towards the reason the photos are all together.

The last photo with 292 on the back starts with 'Ryska soldater' - Russian soldiers..... and part of it says something along the lines of 'raising the white flag', so Im guessing the Russians are seen surrendering to the Germans on the Eastern front somewhere.

The writing on the last one is Swedish, not German!

If it had been in German, it would have said 'Russische Soldaten"

edit: confirmed by 'knittinganddeath' below

Edited by temptage

The captions are in Swedish. I can transcribe them but it may take a while because I'm not great at Swedish.

Edited to add: OK, it was easier than I thought. No guarantees that the Swedish is spelled correctly.

1) Förhandlingsalen där Rysslands och Centralmakternas delegerade dryfter fredsförslag - the negotiating room in which the Russian and Central Powers delegates discuss peace suggestions

2) En i luftstrid stupede engelsk flyofficer begraves av tyskarna under militäre hedersbetygelser - an English pilot who died in air combat is buried by the Germans with military honours

3) Från Schweiz hemvändende (?) tyske flyktninger i samtal med tyske soldater - German refugees returning from Switzerland in conversation with German soldiers

4) Ryska soldater ankomma under den vite flaggan til det neutrale området - Russian soldiers arrive under the white flag to the neutral area

Edited by knittinganddeath

Thanks guys for the early responses. Very interesting and helpful. Any translations would be great!! I've shown a few more pictures and was wondering if these are likely to be German or Russian troops? 

IMG_20230304_153417.jpg

IMG_20230304_153355.jpg

IMG_20230304_153337.jpg

IMG_20230304_153305.jpg

IMG_20230304_153232.jpg

IMG_20230304_153211.jpg

Edited by Shrimperchris

1) Demonstration av kulsprutar - demonstration of machine gun

2) Vinterbilde från Riesengebirge: gendarm på skidar - winter scene from the Riesengebirge, gendarmes on skis

3) Pilotballongen (?) uppsändes för att utröna vindens hastighet och riktung - the pilot balloon (?) is sent up in order to ascertain the wind's speed and direction

Do you know anything about provenance of the photos? There were individual Swedes who served in the German army and I believe that as a neutral state they also sent military observers. They were also involved in humanitarian efforts -- e.g. Elsa Brandström is known for her work on behalf of POWs.

Edited by knittinganddeath

7 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

Pilotballongen

Yes, that would be right „Pilotballone“ were used by the Weather forecast units to measure temperatures etc at higher altitudes.

Charlie

Hello,

These are press photographs, so official pictures that had passed censorship to be published. They are quite common.

Jan