Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deciphering service records.

MaDo

On my great-uncle Cecil Williams (No. 1009148, RH RFA) register entry, under "Campaigns, Wounds, Medals or Rewards of any kind" the following entry: "Fr. 1914-16. N/.E.F. 1916-19". The first bit appears obvious - France 1914-16 - but what does the rest mean? Can anyone decipher this for me?

Many thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

image.png.134b12f95e5a1f0575afa8a9f569e86e.pngDespite going through the NA's lists of abbreviations, I can't really make head nor tail of them. I am looking at the card of Rev Thomas J O'Connor Army Chaplain

A.C.D. in the Medals section?

Page 80 and 28 in OFF 154 ? I understand this is the Medal Rolls

I.V.X/4063 - 'Bing' tells me this means invalided out due to illness or injury - what does 4063 refer to?  Am I correct in presuming that 13.5.21 is the date of I.V.X.?

N.W 7/5857 is shown twice and the second time, the number 00/312 is below it?

EF9/1902?

And is it 'Emblems' on bottom left?

Many thanks - from a struggling beginner!

Edited by monkstown

Hi monkstown,

R A Ch D = Royal Army Chaplains Department

I.V = Issue Voucher, followed by the voucher reference, and the issue date of the medals

I'm not sure about 'N.W'

Regards
Chris

Hi, Monkstown,

I'm pretty new to this myself. I believe that the "NW/7/5857" is the reference to the paperwork covering the "record of disposal of the decoration". This web site provides a lot of information and is worth looking at:

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/how-to-interpret-a-campaign-medal-index-card/

This site say that "Emblems... means that the man was mentioned in despatches. The coded reference is now rather obscure. Sometimes an IV (“issue voucher”) date appears..."

Good luck with the research.

Thank you both - yes, I knew the RAChD bit but the rest flummoxed me. I was surprised to see Microsoft Bing offering an (unsolicited, in a way!) explanation of being invalided out!

Thank you - that longlongtrail one helps a lot.

Edited by monkstown

The NW and EF references are explained in the link below. NW7 being applications for medals, surnames M-R Officers.

EF9 can be two different things but in the case of an officer it's more likely to be the form submitted to claim medals.

https://warrecordsrevealed.com/medal-cards-understanding-the-file-numbers-used-by-medal-branch-in-the-cards-rolls/

TEW

Thank you TEW - another very helpful site.